Getting Extensions in a global directory

SFX Group

Hi, i am very new to SNOM one, however have most items working.

NUMBERS FORMATS

I was told to get all extensions into something like 8xx, this way when a real call comes in the phone can dial a real number and it get routed (no real numbers start with 8).

However if someone has another input that would be nice, however the reason for this question is how do i get all the extensions in to a global address book?

ADDRESS BOOK

ALso is there a specific extension address book when cna be on top of the global one?

Can these address books be edited from the phone itself or does the global (or extension specific) one need to be edited from the web console only?

WEBPAGE ACCESS

Also how do i get in tp the extension webpage work, i can log in as administrator but how do i get to the phone portal?

NUMBERS FORMATS

I was told to get all extensions into something like 8xx, this way when a real call comes in the phone can dial a real number and it get routed (no real numbers start with 8).

However if someone has another input that would be nice, however the reason for this question is how do i get all the extensions in to a global address book?

You mean extension names? First of all, you should make a decision how many digits you want for extensions and other accounts like conference rooms and auto attendants. It makes things easier if they all have the same length.

Extension names usually should start with 4, 5 or 6. That means if you are using three digits, that would give you 300 extensions. If you are using this range, you can have the auto attendant prompt for "press 0 to ...", "press 1 to ...", "press 2 to ..." and "press 3 to ..." and press the extension number to dial directly. 8xxx is reserved for going to the mailbox directly (can be changed, but thats teh default). 9xxxxx is sometimes used to force the PBX to dial on a specific trunk. 7xx is usually used for internal resources like conference rooms, hunt groups etc. It is all just a proposal, but it has shown to be useful.

ADDRESS BOOK

ALso is there a specific extension address book when cna be on top of the global one?

Can these address books be edited from the phone itself or does the global (or extension specific) one need to be edited from the web console only?

Yes, every domain has a domain address book and every extension has a extension address book. You need to log in as a user in the HTTP web interface of the PBX to edit the user address book. The big question is how you get the address book. For snom phones, we are using mostly LDAP; but there are also other ways to get the address book (HTTP/XML and provisioning). It is a long topic. I would suggest to stick to the default which is automatically provisioned.

WEBPAGE ACCESS

Also how do i get in tp the extension webpage work, i can log in as administrator but how do i get to the phone portal?

There is adropdown in the login screen that lets you choose as what you want to login. Keep in mind that the SIP passwords are seperated from the HTTP/login passwords.

You need to log in as a user in the HTTP web interface of the PBX to edit the user address book.

Never been able to do this, whats the URL and username (i assume the extension number)?

For snom phones, we are using mostly LDAP

This SNOM install is on a domain controller so the LDAP port i think has been changed, i assume this will create an issue? any ideas how to update any templates to use a different port for LDP for SNOM so it doesnt bump into the domain controll LDAP port?

There is adropdown in the login screen that lets you choose as what you want to login. Keep in mind that the SIP passwords are seperated from the HTTP/login passwords.

Never got this to work.... :(

Never been able to do this, whats the URL and username (i assume the extension number)?

To login as a user(extension), use the main PBX login page. Instead of using admin as the user, enter the extension number. For the password, enter the web password you set when creating the extension you are logging into. If you are using the default snom extensions, edit the web password for the extension to a password you can remember. From the "login type" drop down menu, under the password box, choose user login. Click the the login button. This will log you into the user/extension on the PBX.

To login as a user(extension), use the main PBX login page. Instead of using admin as the user, enter the extension number. For the password, enter the web password you set when creating the extension you are logging into. If you are using the default snom extensions, edit the web password for the extension to a password you can remember. From the "login type" drop down menu, under the password box, choose user login. Click the the login button. This will log you into the user/extension on the PBX.

This never worked, i have to use the name "extension@domainname" to get in (now i got it working), however i only have 1 domain so why would this be?