Snom One on Mac MOH via RTP - help please

techgoose

3 members have voted

1. 1. Has ANYone gotten this to work?

We recently migrated to SNOM ONE running on Mac OS 10.7 Lion. Our system is pretty much working properly, but I have literally spent over 15 hours trying to get MOH to work as advertised here:

http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Streaming_VLC_and_snom_ONE

I have tried VLC on 3 different machines. I have tried virtually every conceivable setting to stream RTP audio into port 42000 to the static IP of the dedicated Mac running the switch. I have also tried Quicktime Broadcaster as an alternative to VLC.

While I CAN get music to show up OK on hold if I use a WAV file instead of streaming, but I need to play a very long playlist and update it from time to time, so this isn't an optimal solution. I would like to either use a physical appliance plugged into the Mac audio input jack (not supported in OS X), or a stream from an audio player.

I simply can NOT get it to sound OK when streaming1 The audio IS there, but (depending on the hundreds of combinations of settings I tried) it either has static/distortion, OR it stutters and echoes.

When using VLC 1.03, I use the Advanced Open File command to select either a single WAV file -- prepared as described in the link above, e.g., 8 kHz 16 bit WAV -- and then I tell it to stream to the fixed internal IP. As I say, the audio appears, just not with sufficient integrity to be actually tolerable (it stutters, clicks, and echoes). I have tried a variety of TTL numbers, I have tried with and without transcoding. I have not had any success using command line to manipulate VLC.

AS I say, the BEST I have been able to attain is a situation where one can hear pieces of lyrics for a fraction of a second. If one stops the music source, one hears an echo of the last bit of audio, which eventually fades away. This is interesting, it's as if the RTP is feeding back on itself somehow, but it isn't -- this is why I've tried multiple sources, from different physical machines / network nodes, and different pieces of software, different audio sources, etc. etc. etc. I'm an experienced troubleshooter in general.

I'm interested to know if anyone has ever gotten this to work in my configuration? Thus the poll. In my exhaustive searching of the Interwebs, I have found plenty of people trying it, but ZERO who have claimed success in this configuration. My hypothesis currently is that it isn't me, that it in fact doesn't work on the Mac -- please, prove me wrong and tell me how you did it!

Thank you

- David "Techgoose" Farrow :)

MR X is the expert on the topic, he can vote for "finally got it working"...

Before he wakes up, some questions. What version are you running? Background info is that we made the linear codec possible for MoH streaming just a few months ago, which makes life a lot easier for most people. Also, it does not matter so much what you feed into VLC, the important part is always that the output is RTP, codec linear or ulaw, 8 kHz, Mono. You should try to have multiple of 10 ms RTP packet length, ideally something like 20ms or maybe 40ms (not 10000ms, this would not even fit into a UDP packet).

If you hear static that means that the PBX detects RTP on the port and believes it is a known codec; so are close...

We recently migrated to SNOM ONE running on Mac OS 10.7 Lion. Our system is pretty much working properly, but I have literally spent over 15 hours trying to get MOH to work as advertised here:

http://wiki.snomone.com/index.php?title=Streaming_VLC_and_snom_ONE

I have tried VLC on 3 different machines. I have tried virtually every conceivable setting to stream RTP audio into port 42000 to the static IP of the dedicated Mac running the switch. I have also tried Quicktime Broadcaster as an alternative to VLC.

While I CAN get music to show up OK on hold if I use a WAV file instead of streaming, but I need to play a very long playlist and update it from time to time, so this isn't an optimal solution. I would like to either use a physical appliance plugged into the Mac audio input jack (not supported in OS X), or a stream from an audio player.

I simply can NOT get it to sound OK when streaming1 The audio IS there, but (depending on the hundreds of combinations of settings I tried) it either has static/distortion, OR it stutters and echoes.

When using VLC 1.03, I use the Advanced Open File command to select either a single WAV file -- prepared as described in the link above, e.g., 8 kHz 16 bit WAV -- and then I tell it to stream to the fixed internal IP. As I say, the audio appears, just not with sufficient integrity to be actually tolerable (it stutters, clicks, and echoes). I have tried a variety of TTL numbers, I have tried with and without transcoding. I have not had any success using command line to manipulate VLC.

AS I say, the BEST I have been able to attain is a situation where one can hear pieces of lyrics for a fraction of a second. If one stops the music source, one hears an echo of the last bit of audio, which eventually fades away. This is interesting, it's as if the RTP is feeding back on itself somehow, but it isn't -- this is why I've tried multiple sources, from different physical machines / network nodes, and different pieces of software, different audio sources, etc. etc. etc. I'm an experienced troubleshooter in general.

I'm interested to know if anyone has ever gotten this to work in my configuration? Thus the poll. In my exhaustive searching of the Interwebs, I have found plenty of people trying it, but ZERO who have claimed success in this configuration. My hypothesis currently is that it isn't me, that it in fact doesn't work on the Mac -- please, prove me wrong and tell me how you did it!

Thank you

- David "Techgoose" Farrow :)

MOH streaming was introduced on version 4.3.0.5021 so if your running anything below that then it will not work unless you tinker with vlc. I would suggest that you upgrade to the latest build.

What I would do is grab an mp3 file unaltered and let vlc transcode the file.

Here is how! B)

1. Navigate to "Media" and click on Streaming.

2. Add a file "Try an mp3 file that's unaltered"

3. Click on "Show more options" and Set the "Caching" to 10ms

4. Click on Stream to navigate to the next page.

5. "Destination Page"

On the Drop down choose "RTP Audio/Video Profile" click "add"

Address is the snomONEs IP

"Base port" is the port the vlc will be streaming RTP.

6. "Transcoding options"

Profile Choose "Audio-MP3"

Hit the edit button looks like this tool.png

7. We are only interested in 2 "Parameters" in this section.

"Encapsulation" and Audio codec.

"Encapsulation" type is "RAW"

"Audio codec" setting is the following.

Codec "WAV"

Bitrate "128kb

Channel 1

Sample Rate 8000

Click Save

Then Click the Next button.

You will see a "Generated stream output string"

Then Click Stream

Creating the MOH link on snomONE

Navigate to Admin---->Settings-->MOH

Create an moh source

Name: VLC

Type: RTP Stream

Domain: All Domain

Port: 42000 for example

Navigate to Domain--setting and define the "Music on Hold source: VLC

Hello here is my update for today...

...At the moment the issue seems to be that the Mac version of VLC -- both version 1 and the newly released 2.0 -- don't seem to offer WAV streaming, at least not in the UI. I'm attaching a screen shot of the relevant options in that program, which is significantly different than the Windows version.post-20609-0-59257400-1331252887_thumb.png

I will try tomorrow with Quicktime Broadcaster instead of VLC and see if I can get the right stream pointed at the SNOM box.

The settings you are specifying are different than what I was trying before; the instructions I was following were for an earlier version of the SNOM software I believe.

...At the moment the issue seems to be that the Mac version of VLC -- both version 1 and the newly released 2.0 -- don't seem to offer WAV streaming, at least not in the UI.

That is indeed strange. The PBX actually does not need "WAV", it needs either linear (8 kHz times 16 bit mono = 128 kbit/s) or ulaw-encoded (64 kbit/s) RTP. I cant spot that in the dropdown in the screen shot that you sent.

I have been capable of streaming but the stream is so not what it should be... it is clearly a problem of codec from what is sound like!

It look like VLC any version on Mac do not offer WAV file format for streaming... I have tried on windows and it work like a charm.

So the question is ... What steaming server can be used on macintosh for streaming to SNOMONE PBX? So fare I found nothing...

Some more information... There is no OSX streaming software that encapsulate as WAV file. This is communing form Apple engineering ... If this is true, SNOM will have to come up with some package in order to do so! Maybe they already have a solution!!!

Edited by tommymtl

Some more information... There is no OSX streaming software that encapsulate as WAV file. This is communing form Apple engineering ... If this is true, SNOM will have to come up with some package in order to do so! Maybe they already have a solution!!!

It is very understandable that Apple has a problem with the "W" in the "WAV". However, the PBX does not use WAV for streaming (where does this rumor come from?). The PBX just uses 16-bit per sample, 8 kHz mono audio encapsulated in RTP. This is a very very simple audio format coming from the first CD players last century. Maybe there is a glorified name for this on the Apple platform, but there must be something.

It is very understandable that Apple has a problem with the "W" in the "WAV". However, the PBX does not use WAV for streaming (where does this rumor come from?). The PBX just uses 16-bit per sample, 8 kHz mono audio encapsulated in RTP. This is a very very simple audio format coming from the first CD players last century. Maybe there is a glorified name for this on the Apple platform, but there must be something.

Thanks for you reply!

Bottom line, We have found NO Mac streaming software that allow us to stream to PBX with the following format:

Sample rate: 8000 Hz

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 128 kb/s

All streaming soft have to package and announce their content, PBX is welcoming only RAW package, the WAV formatting is only to stream at 8000 Hz (something is needed to set the rate) which mac softs do not offer, it look like no such option exist on VLC or any other streaming software for Mac.

A long but simple work around for now..., Virtualization on Mac ... It work for me. I use VMWare Fusion running Windows 7 that stream with proper "everything" to Mac PBX. Not the most elegant solution but you can work it and have all the bells and whisle on only 1 box.

I have tried this with Apple's Quicktime Broadcaster, available here.

This software seems to support the settings you have suggested would work, yet I cannot get it to play clearly without the stutter described in my original post. There are a lot of variables that can be adjusted, with scant information about what the variables do, so it's possible I just haven't found the right set. The variables are spread around in various different places under "options" buttons and the like; not the worlds' pre-eminent design. Anyone want to try that? I tried it with Soundflower to feed the audio, I haven't yet had a chance to use a physical cable from in iPod as I didn't have the right cable handy, next time I'm physically on-site I'll try that.

It has also been suggested to me that VLC might be able to do it via the command line interface, even if the GUI doesn't have the options we need. I'm not very comfortable on the Mac's command line interface (e.g., Terminal), but I'm studying these links -- anyone with more command-line chops feel free to share your results with us!

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Advanced_Streaming_Using_the_Command_Line

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Play_HowTo/Advanced_Use_of_VLC

- David