Cannot send packet: No license

voipguy

Hi,

We are running the latest snom one centos 32bit.

I noticed this in the log file today: "Cannot send packet: No license"

[6] 2012/06/29 09:10:47: Call-leg 250: Codec g729/8000 is chosen for call id c1d0ecf9@pbx

[0] 2012/06/29 09:11:00: Cannot send packet: No license

[0] 2012/06/29 09:11:00: License: Supported vendors grandstream cisco

[6] 2012/06/29 09:11:07: Call-leg 251: Sending RTP for 3c27bce7f09e-x1deutqeus7y to 192.168.1.122:57854, codec not set yet

-------------------------------

I understand the snom one software "calls home" every so often to the snom licensing server - is that licensing server having problems today? This could be a major problem if my snom one can't send any packets then it can't process any calls.

We had snom convert our pbxnsip hosted license to a snom one license a few months back.

Thanks

We dont turn off licenses or the missing response does not disable the license. Of course it can happen that a server goes offline, then the calls (for example in the LAN) will definitevely go on. Did you get a temporary license? Maybe private message me the license key and then we can take a look what is going on here.

We dont turn off licenses or the missing response does not disable the license. Of course it can happen that a server goes offline, then the calls (for example in the LAN) will definitevely go on. Did you get a temporary license? Maybe private message me the license key and then we can take a look what is going on here.

What do you mean by "Of course it can happen that a server goes offline, then the calls (for example in the LAN) will definitevely go on." ? Are you talking about your licensing server or my snom one server? Can't see you thinking my snom one server would be off line because I never stated that in my post and that is not the problem posted.

As I mentioned our license was converted from a pbxnsip hosted license to a snom one license - not temporary.

If anymore snom one team memebers have any insight on this log file message "Cannot send packet: No license" I would appreciate it. When I read that in the log file that tells me "No license" which could mean no more calls will be processed until the license gets verified again or passes the check again.

I know you say "We dont turn off licenses or the missing response does not disable the license." but it clearly states cannot send packet no license?

Thanks

The licensing server is for sure not high availability and we know that. Also most Internet connections are not reliable enough. That is why the PBX does not void a license because it cannot reach the server. In your case, there must be something wrong with the key, thats why I suggested we take a look at it.

We have some installations where the license server provisions temporary keys every now and then, for example with 30 days duration. If the server is not able to reach the servers 30 times in a row, yea than that license would not get updated with a new one and eventually time out. But from what I read in this topic, you dont have a key like that.

Bound to IP address. Nothing has changed. No calls dropped but seeing that message in the log file made me think that no more "new" calls would be allowed.

What the PBX does is try to bind a UDP port periodically on a random port 0 to the provided IP address and see if that works. If it fails, it assums that the server does not have that IP address any more, and then you get the effect that the license is invalid. This algorithm makes sense to avoid that for example, someone configures the IP during the bootup of the PBX and then removes the IP later to do the same thing on another server.

If the socket opening fails, I agree it does not have to mean that the IP address is really not there. It could as well be that the system is running out of sockets (which would also have consequences for the RTP traffic) or for whatever reason the OS declines opening a port on the IP address. The question is here is there anything in that CentOS installation that could keep the OS from opening another UDP socket on the IP address for the license? Anything special with IP tables? Could it happen that the IP address "disappears" for some time (e.g. because the DHCP server did not renew the lease)? Was there a remporary link loss on the interface?

We might also have to talk about changing the algorithm that--if it has previously already approved the IP address--a single failure of verification should not shut the server down just like that. Maybe the PBX should at least try threee times.