Instant Messaging SIP/SIMPLE

Wim van Ommen

Did I understand correctly that pbxnsip supports IM through SIP/SIMPLE?

Because I tried to set this up via the SIP/SIMPLE plugin for pidgin/adium and they both fail to connect.

So first question:

Does pbxnsip support SIP/SIMPLE

Second:

should it work with pidgin/adium?

Third:

If yes how?

The SIMPLE support is very simple. The PBX practically works like a SIP proxy in this case, it just takes a MESSAGE request and sends it to all registered user agents. There is no store/forward. I would say, register the device and give it a try.

So far I have seen it working with Counterpath (did not try anything else).

It would be nice if it would also work with pidging/adium, they are just chat clients and thus only support SIP/SIMPLE and not a full SIP stack.

Do you have a LOG with the SIP messages? No problem if they don't support other messages, they only need to support REGISTER, MESSAGE and properly reject incoming INVITE messages (e.g. with 500 Not Implemented).

• 1 month later...

I have tested xlite with my pbxnsip for message chatting..... no issues...

However, I would like to know How to get the correct "presense information" displayed on the other party?

I do not see the icon change in xlite from something offline to online... regardless of whether the other party is registered or not....

regards

FY

However, I would like to know How to get the correct "presense information" displayed on the other party?

I do not see the icon change in xlite from something offline to online... regardless of whether the other party is registered or not....

For that you need to put the party into the contacts list. There you can also see your own presence status. We tried it, and it works okay. The PBX is just a relay of the status, not looking into it.

Is it the Free Xlite client not supporting this feature? Do I have to use the paid version i.e. Bria or eyebeam to get the presence properly displayed?

Coz I did as per what u mentioned add each other to our respective contact list....but yet its still greyed...

We have no issues doing message chat.......but the presense just not right......

regards

FY

hi guys,

after much testing.... I find changing the settings to "Presence Agent" does not help either....

The status is online updated correctly upon startup..... any other time its not working right....

Please advice...

regards

FY

after much testing.... I find changing the settings to "Presence Agent" does not help either....

The status is online updated correctly upon startup..... any other time its not working right....

Please advice...

You got any SIP traffic for the update that does not work?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
if u look at the thread..... I have been waiting almost 6 mths for an answer.... :)

let's just hope someone.... is monitoring this thread!

It would be good if someone from pbxnsip can give all of us some answers....

Hi,

I am impressed that pbxnsip does instant messaging. The xlite client is pretty nice for a simple messaging. Only thing I wish for is that it would allow group chat (back and forth between a group).

But It makes a nice,simple SMB chat server that can grow into pbx deal.

But presence would be nice.

matt

Now that you have Xlite working, try presence! The presence works with the address book. As far as I remember the trick was that the presence is not peer to peer, it runs the the PBX as agent.

Yes, If i have the person as a contact in xlite, and have "show the contacts availablility" the presense works for a couple minutes then stops...

matt

Yes, If i have the person as a contact in xlite, and have "show the contacts availablility" the presense works for a couple minutes then stops...

matt

i thot it was after xlite presence idle timeout, but i set it to 1440 minutes and still stopped showing presence after several minutes...

If I reregister sip (or log off/on xlite) it will indicate for a few minutes again.

matt

i thot it was after xlite presence idle timeout, but i set it to 1440 minutes and still stopped showing presence after several minutes...

You mean because the phone gets idle? That sounds like a feature to me. IMHO the whole hype around presence is completely over. I understand IM is useful, but I never understood what presence should be good for. My productivy dropped like a stone when people saw that I became online. Hiding my presence is a feature! :)

You mean because the phone gets idle? That sounds like a feature to me. IMHO the whole hype around presence is completely over. I understand IM is useful, but I never understood what presence should be good for. My productivy dropped like a stone when people saw that I became online. Hiding my presence is a feature! :)

No, it does not get idle. It just stops indicating correctly.

Testing this requires only one xlite. Setup the xlite correctly, add YOURSELF as a contact. (change the availabliity and watch it change down in the contacts to make sure it works) Change it a couple times to verify to your self it works...now wait several minutes and change it....it will not change down in the contact list.

(watch 3-5 minutes...upon further testing it now has been working for 6 minutes and counting...seems random when it stops...)

I'm not sure who is dropping the ball: us or xlite?

On presence:

For remote users this is not micky mouse...it can save time...why bother calling, waiting till vm answers if the person isn't even there or on the phone? Same with IM, why IM him if he's out shoveling snow? ;-) (and remember xlite has nice privacy features for those you DONT want to show availability ;-)

I think we are pretty close to having working presence.

Thanks

matt

NO, it does not get idle. It just stops indicating correctly.

Testing this requires only one xlite. Setup the xlite correctly, add YOURSELF as a contact. (change the availabliity and watch it change down in the contacts to make sure it works) Change it a couple times to verify to your self it works...now wait several minutes and change it....it will not change down in the contact list.

(watch 3-5 minutes)

I'm not sure is dropping the ball: us or xlite?

On presence:

For remote users this is not micky mouse...it can save time...why bother calling, waiting till vm answers if the person isn't even there or on the phone? Same with IM, why IM if he's out shoveling snow? ;-)

Since companies are installing servers just for internal IM presence is something they want. And I think we are pretty close to having it.

Just updated http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Counterpath.

I'm testing that config...

(i'm hopeful, as it went 5 minutes and still works... ;-)

BTW: VERY nice, clear, straightforward WIKI article...

matt

Its been working for 25 minutes now so I'm going to presume it WORKS.

I would like to say a very appreciative THANKS.

I would like to say that the DND question I asked isn't nearly soo important now that xlite presence works because setting DND on the xlite lets everyone know via presence that phone is DND.

Once again, I'm impressed with pbxnsip and thanks.

matt

I should say there appears to be one final issue with xlite/pbxnsip.

When xlite goes into idle detect, after that it appears that presence stops indicating right untill xlite reregistered.

Otherwise its fine.

matt

ps-let me add to my finding: it appears if xlite is in the autodetect and goes idle status and is there for several minutes it stops showing status and needs to be restarted (sip re-registered)

I should say there appears to be one final issue with xlite/pbxnsip.

When xlite goes into idle detect, after that it appears that presence stops indicating right untill xlite reregistered.

Otherwise its fine.

matt

ps-let me add to my finding: it appears if xlite is in the autodetect and goes idle status and is there for several minutes it stops showing status and needs to be restarted (sip re-registered)

Is that something that can be fixed with shorter timeouts? There are two settings in Xlite for this in the presence tab...