Windows Server Qos

After using Windows Server 2008 for a while now and running vista Clients that all use Policy-based QoS, I am astounded to find that Windows Server 2003 does not have easy access to QoS. Could someone please tell me how to implement QoS for pbxnsip in Windows Server 2003. In 2008 and Vista you just do it via gpedit but I had a look and there is nothing that resembles QoS in 2003. All the information on the web leads to QoS Packet Scheduler on the NIC but I need to allow pbxnsip QoS so that all other applications get lower priority?

Thanks in advance,

Sara.

Could someone please tell me how to implement QoS for pbxnsip in Windows Server 2003.

In Windows, you need to change the registry to enable the tagging of RTP packets for the Type of Service. There is a article from Microsoft on this topic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248611/en-us (see http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Installing_in_Windows).

In Windows, you need to change the registry to enable the tagging of RTP packets for the Type of Service. There is a article from Microsoft on this topic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248611/en-us (see http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Installing_in_Windows).

Thank you very much. I am right in saying that after changing the registry with that dword entry pbxnsip as an application will now have access to changing the packets through winsock, I though it would have been more complicated than that. Should I leave the default value in the global config as 184 (0xB8) or should it be higher?

Sara.

I am right in saying that after changing the registry with that dword entry pbxnsip as an application will now have access to changing the packets through winsock, I though it would have been more complicated than that. Should I leave the default value in the global config as 184 (0xB8) or should it be higher?

Yes. 0xB8 is usually a good choice, that is why it is default.

• 2 months later...

Changing the registry setting to allow application to set the TOS flag causes a problem for other applications on by Windows 2003 server.

In particular Blackberry Server will not sent packets. It seems to me that pbxnsip should use the windows GQoS API instead by-passing the windows QoS system by enabling the applications to set the TOS tag

So far this is my only complaint with pbxnsip every thing else is great!

Is there any plans to change this in pbxnsip ?

Thanks

Is there any plans to change this in pbxnsip ?

Yea, the whole QoS story is not over yet. DiffSrv is extremly basic, that is clear. What Microsoft did in 2000 was a good start, but in the meantime so much stuff happened. For example, MPLS might be very interesting to ensure that the user has a TDM-like QoS experience.

The other problem is that we still want to support Linux (and BSD-style OS). That Windows API does not exist in Linux. Having something that works in both OS would be the best solution.

Is there some other way to control the queuing in Windows with out changing the TOS registry setting? I am no windows expert but seems that the QoS queuing is controlled by group policy objects. Is there a way to tell windows that a certain type of packets get better service?

The problem with setting TOS is it messes up the queuing of other QoS application running on the same server. So a can't change the registry setting in windows as suggested on the wiki.

Would it be better for me to just get a cisco router to do the QoS?

Thanks

Yea, the whole QoS story is not over yet. DiffSrv is extremely basic, that is clear. What Microsoft did in 2000 was a good start, but in the meantime so much stuff happened. For example, MPLS might be very interesting to ensure that the user has a TDM-like QoS experience.

The other problem is that we still want to support Linux (and BSD-style OS). That Windows API does not exist in Linux. Having something that works in both OS would be the best solution.

Would it be better for me to just get a cisco router to do the QoS?

Well, tough question. Maybe it is better to use a "newer" Microsoft OS that does not require the registry changes (not sure, but maybe XP does it already right; Vista does in any case). Then if the packets go out with the right tags, then the next router can treat the packets the right way and make sure that the outbound traffic gets prioritized the right way.