External Call Recording Feature

ap_6200

We have the Call Recording License - currently set as *12 to start, and *13 to stop recording.

In the Extension we use for recording - we have selected "Record outgoing calls to external numbers:" set to ON - but this does not appear to be working.

What's the point in having those settings (Record calls from HUNT GROUPS, etc) - if you have to enable the *12 to start recording ?

Am I missing something in the setup?

Please assist.

Thanks

We have the Call Recording License - currently set as *12 to start, and *13 to stop recording.

In the Extension we use for recording - we have selected "Record outgoing calls to external numbers:" set to ON - but this does not appear to be working.

What's the point in having those settings (Record calls from HUNT GROUPS, etc) - if you have to enable the *12 to start recording ?

The user-initiated recordings are parallel to the system-initiated recordings.

Why outbound calls are not recorded - they should. The only thing that I can think about is licsense (which seems to be okay here) and the recording location. But maybe we should just re-test here.

Am I missing something in the setup?

Please assist.

Thanks

Just a few pointers here.

When you use Start and Stop Codes the call is saved in YOUR Mailbox and you are the only person who can listen to it.

When you use the "Record incoming calls from Hunt Group etc. the call is being saved in the Recordings Folder. Its location is determined by System Settings Record Location:.

Since the recordings are in an easily accessable folder, anyone with access to the computer running PBXNSIP can listen to, copy, save or forward your conversations.

Also, recordings start to use a lot of disk space as time goes by. By using the Start and Stop Codes you can control what is and is not recorded.

So, use the above information to determin which method is best for your system.

Hope this helps.

Bill H

Just a few pointers here.

When you use Start and Stop Codes the call is saved in YOUR Mailbox and you are the only person who can listen to it.

When you use the "Record incoming calls from Hunt Group etc. the call is being saved in the Recordings Folder. Its location is determined by System Settings Record Location:.

Since the recordings are in an easily accessable folder, anyone with access to the computer running PBXNSIP can listen to, copy, save or forward your conversations.

Also, recordings start to use a lot of disk space as time goes by. By using the Start and Stop Codes you can control what is and is not recorded.

So, use the above information to determin which method is best for your system.

Hope this helps.

Bill H

So that's more than likely the problem... And makes sense to me. However 1 question surfaces for me. If I wanted to be able to send the recording via email (as in a user-initiated start/stop recording) - goes into my voicemail box, and forwards to my email account. Can I do the same thing for system-initiated (Record all external calls) ?

So that's more than likely the problem... And makes sense to me. However 1 question surfaces for me. If I wanted to be able to send the recording via email (as in a user-initiated start/stop recording) - goes into my voicemail box, and forwards to my email account. Can I do the same thing for system-initiated (Record all external calls) ?

I verified that the calls are being recorded, and placed in the local RECORDINGS directory.

So I will reiterate - Is there anyway, since these are Extension Redirect Settings - that I can get it to send the recording via email if the Extension has that set?

Thanks

I verified that the calls are being recorded, and placed in the local RECORDINGS directory.

So I will reiterate - Is there anyway, since these are Extension Redirect Settings - that I can get it to send the recording via email if the Extension has that set?

Thanks

I have never seen anything in PBXNSIP that will Email a conversation that is saved in the Recordings Folder.

The only connection with Recordings and Extension Redirect Settings is that they are on the same page.

I don't believe that they are interactive. There may have been a plan at some time in the past to do this though.

An External Program could look at new recordings as they are created in the Recordings Folder and then Email them to the correct extension user.

Bill H

Can I do the same thing for system-initiated (Record all external calls) ?

No. Actually, sending recordings as email scares me (even in the year 2008):

One hour recording = 3600 * 13200/8 = 6 MB.

Maybe you can fix the problem with a little Linux script (sorry for the meta code):

while [ 1 ]; do

sleep 10

for i in 'ls'; do

if [ -older than 2 minutes ] # To make sure that this file is currently not being written

mail -s "Recording $i" <$i user@domain.com

sleep 1

rm $i

fi

done

done

Not sure I saw that you were running Linux, but based on practical experience, I would prefer to see you move the files from the PBX onto another platform and allow it to email or archive the files. In the M$ world numerous tools exist that can be schedules to move files via SMB, FTP, or others.

It would be nice to see some Meta Code for Linux to do some file moving using FTP to a known FTP site during Low CPU cycle times or to be CRONNED to occur hourly or after hours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
No. Actually, sending recordings as email scares me (even in the year 2008):

One hour recording = 3600 * 13200/8 = 6 MB.

Maybe you can fix the problem with a little Linux script (sorry for the meta code):

while [ 1 ]; do

sleep 10

for i in 'ls'; do

if [ -older than 2 minutes ] # To make sure that this file is currently not being written

mail -s "Recording $i" <$i user@domain.com

sleep 1

rm $i

fi

done

done

Reviving an older thread:

Can you tell me what the impact to PBXnSIP would be if we had 20 phones recording up to an hour using feature codes and then emailing the end user? Using 2.1.13.2494 and Linux? Also once the email is sent, is the recording flushed from the mailbox?

Thanks in advance!

Reviving an older thread:

Can you tell me what the impact to PBXnSIP would be if we had 20 phones recording up to an hour using feature codes and then emailing the end user? Using 2.1.13.2494 and Linux? Also once the email is sent, is the recording flushed from the mailbox?

Thanks in advance!

Answered my own question on the deletion ................ It depends on the setting for the extension. Still need to know about the recordings though.

Answered my own question on the deletion ................ It depends on the setting for the extension. Still need to know about the recordings though.

Yea, we made some progress... The emails with WAV attachments are now assembled in the (low prio) email thread. That makes it possible to send out pretty long recordings as well, so that we can start dreaming about sending out every conversation recording out by email and get if off the file system.

Is there a way to start recording from the beginning of the call? Like a Tivo? Cisco has this ability and sounds like a nice feature to sell. I know this would mean that you have to record all calls temporarily.

I am thinking my legal clients - they are in a call that was not supposed to be important but then the conversation turns to something that is. If you can record from the start there would be no issues of somone saying the call was out of context.

Is there a way to start recording from the beginning of the call? Like a Tivo? Cisco has this ability and sounds like a nice feature to sell. I know this would mean that you have to record all calls temporarily.

I am thinking my legal clients - they are in a call that was not supposed to be important but then the conversation turns to something that is. If you can record from the start there would be no issues of somone saying the call was out of context.

Well, you can record all calls (that's a domain setting) and then later decide which of them you want to throw away. The big question is how to tell the PBX, so that the selection process can be done automatically.

Yea, we made some progress... The emails with WAV attachments are now assembled in the (low prio) email thread. That makes it possible to send out pretty long recordings as well, so that we can start dreaming about sending out every conversation recording out by email and get if off the file system.

So have you had any PBXnSIP performance issues on a server with multiple domains and recordings being emailed to the customer? These recordings would be fairly large in size with recording times going to 60 minutes. This has become a major sticking point for one of our customers.

Thanks in advance.

So have you had any PBXnSIP performance issues on a server with multiple domains and recordings being emailed to the customer? These recordings would be fairly large in size with recording times going to 60 minutes. This has become a major sticking point for one of our customers.

Well in the previous version the thread that did the SIP processing also assembled the email including the WAV. Because that WAV has to be base64-encoded, this could take some time. That is why we did not send long WAV files. Now the picture changed. Because there is the email thread which can work on this for minutes there is practically no more limit for the length for WAV files and sending out the recording of a two-hour conference becomes an option.