cs410 : unable to get a dynamic IP from ADSL modem

maslym

Hi,

We tried to install the CS410 appliance at our customer's site and the appliance couldn't get a public IP from the Internet service provider (ADSL). We tried both WAN port and LAN port and it's the same. The customer is using an old 3COM ADSL modem. I attached my laptop to the same modem and I could get a public IP.

We then tried the appliace in the office on both the same Internet service provider(ADSL) and another Internet service provider(Cable) and the appliance could get a public IP from both service providers. Our office is using D-Link ADSL modem. I think there might be something to do with the customer's old 3COM ADSL modem.

Any idea? Is there anything we can try on the appliance?

Thanks,

Yimin

Any idea? Is there anything we can try on the appliance?

Well, the PBX is just running the standard dhclient3 that comes with the debian distribution. If you can can, try to use a Ethernet hub (or do port mirroring on a managed Ethernet switch) and get a Wireshark trace. Then we can see what is the problem...

Additionally you can expand your troubleshooting steps to include attaching the device to yet another OLD router laying around with a functional DHCP server and test against that. The would validate the device's ability to pull an IP.

From experience, those that deploy any VoIP appliance, and their are many, without some sort of SIP aware router, will have little to go one when they experience troubles. The (OLD 3COM ADSL MODEM) makes my spine shiver.