Jump to content

Communicator external access & outlook integration


Coen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

I know this problem has nothing todo with PBXNSIP or the integration of the product, but maybe an somebody (a OCS specialist) can help me with a problem.

 

I'm working on a OCS test setup. I started with a simple setup containing a Exchange 2007 and a OCS 2007 standard edition server. This all works great, without any problems! Communicator client starts without any error and is function correctly. The last two weeks I was trying to extent this setup with external access. Deploying a CWA server was not so hard. I published CWA using a ISA 2006 SP1 server. After that I did publish OWA and Outlook Anywhere + Autodiscover. So far no problems at all.

 

My latest goal is to implement an OCS Edge server. To begin simple I decided to use OCS Edge only for IM and not for Web Conferencing and/or A/V. A/V is currently no option for me, because of the IP requirements (2 routable public IP addresses).

After reading some whitepapers and a lot of blogs I ended up with a working situation.

 

I'm able to connect my Outlook 2007 fat client over the internet (HTTPS) with my Exchange server. Also Autodiscovery (externally and internally) works fine. Because I'm using a wildcard certificate (created by my own CA) I had to make some modifications to my Exchange server.

See URL: http://www.pro-exchange.be/modules.php?nam...cle&sid=898

 

So everything works??? No, there is one thing that gives me a headache. The communicator client is able to connect over the internet but, always gives a outlook integration error. This error appears only when I connect over the internet. Internally I have no errors at al.

Because of this error, the communicator client is not able to read my calendar information. So my presence info is not changing when I'm in a meeting. I know the communicator client uses the autodiscover part of exchange, but is seems not to work over the internet.

 

Can somebody helps me out or points me in the right direction.

 

Greeting,

 

Coen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Coen, :)

 

I can help you :) But it can be a long run...

 

Because of this: Are you still facing the problem?

 

Best regards,

 

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Coen, :)

 

I can help you :) But it can be a long run...

 

Because of this: Are you still facing the problem?

 

Best regards,

 

Jan

 

Hi Jan,

 

Thanks for repleying, you are the first! :)

 

I guess my problem has been solved today, but I don't know how I did it.

I had some spare time to begin with the R2 upgrade. So I started with the R2 AD prepareation.

When starting the Schema Prep, I found out Microsoft has changed their recommendations about storing the Global Settings.

So first I migrated the Global Settings from the System Container to the Configuration Container.

After migrating the Global Settings I prepared my Active Directory. No problems at all.

 

So the only steps I've been taken today is migrating the Global Settings en preparing my AD. I will upgrade my OCS Standard Pool later this week.

 

The strange thing now is that I'm able to connect to the edge server without any problems.

So maybe there was a glidge in my Active Directory.

 

If you have a technical explanation for this behavoir please let me know. I'm clueless. :rolleyes:

 

Thanks for your help anyway.

 

Greetings,

 

Coen

 

My blog: www.digitalfreakz.nl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! :(

 

I guess the cause and the solution are not R2 or OCS schema related. I remember that one of the latest Exchange Rollups for SP1 can cause issues like that, and one of the newer once fixed it. Especially if your patching is automated or managed by another colleague you will not know about these changes.

 

An OCS, R2 exactly OC client related reason might be, that in R1 your external certificate for OCS Edge Server and Exchange OWA + Webservices ssl publishing certificate need to be from the same commercial root CA, or you use one / the same SAN certficate on Edge and Exchange. Not the case with OC R2 anymore, as far as I know.

 

Please try checking Exchange Autodiscover Test Results from the internet by hold down STRG/ CTRL & leftclicking Outlook-Icon in the TASKBAR. See if all of you Ex-services URL's are correct! If you like, post it here. Second: test all of the service by Outlook on the Internet.

 

Perform an 1) Offline Adressbook Download, 2) Schedule a Meeting and see if you can see the Outlook FREE BUSY Status of the Collegues you added to the meeting 3) Do a PLAY on Phone in Outlook to see if the UM-webservices are working also from Internet / Anywhere Acces (RPCoverHTTP).

 

Please report any issues here. Thanks. :)

 

btw: I checked your blog. Maybe this might be interesting for you, regarding sharepoint:

 

ITaCS SharePoint Post Installation Tool

 

The ITaCS Change Passwort web part 2.0 beta

 

Regards,

 

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...