Device physical information (with CSTA or else)

Bruno Konik

Hello,

I am working on CSTA with PBXnSIP latest v4. When doing a CSTA MakeCall, the SIP device is first prompted requesting the user to lift the handset to effectively launch the call. I guess this behavior is normal (is it with every SIP device on pbxnsip?). To prevent such situation, for some devices (not all), it would be possible to address directly the device internal web server and launch a call from it. This requires to know the device IP address, the device brand and version.

Is there a way to get this information given the device extension? Maybe is this possible through CSTA private information?

Thanks for providing your help.

Hello,

I am working on CSTA with PBXnSIP latest v4. When doing a CSTA MakeCall, the SIP device is first prompted requesting the user to lift the handset to effectively launch the call. I guess this behavior is normal (is it with every SIP device on pbxnsip?). To prevent such situation, for some devices (not all), it would be possible to address directly the device internal web server and launch a call from it. This requires to know the device IP address, the device brand and version.

Is there a way to get this information given the device extension? Maybe is this possible through CSTA private information?

Thanks for providing your help.

This is not a direct solution to your question, but it may help.

The Counterpath Xlite Free Softphone has an Auto Answer feature. http://www.counterpath.com

If you can use this Softphone in your application it will not Ring when originating a call, and it will most likely connect the CSTA initiated call immediately.

I say "most likely" because I have tested it with "Click to Dial" and it works well, but I have not tested it with CSTA yet.

Let me know how it works for you....

This is not a direct solution to your question, but it may help.

The Counterpath Xlite Free Softphone has an Auto Answer feature. http://www.counterpath.com

If you can use this Softphone in your application it will not Ring when originating a call, and it will most likely connect the CSTA initiated call immediately.

I say "most likely" because I have tested it with "Click to Dial" and it works well, but I have not tested it with CSTA yet.

Let me know how it works for you....

Hi Bill,

thanks for your suggestion. This solution works indeed but this means that for all incoming calls you will be immediately connected to the call, which is in my opinion not so good. the user may need to choose when he wants to answer while willing to make 'MakeCall' (or ClickToCall) immediately launched.

Note BTW that the problem with SIP phones is also when a call is ringing on the phone. CSTA 'AsnwerCall' is inefficient because the PBX does not make the phone connect.

Well, my question to pbxnsip still persists: can we get the IP and type/brand of the phone?

thanks again.