Exchange 2007 SP1 SOS

phsean

Idiot me.

I installed Exchange SP1 this morning, and PBXnSIP can no longer reach Exchange for either auto attendants or voicemail.

Looking through the log files, I see that the difference is a 'SIP/2.0 403 Forbidden' instead of a 'SIP/2.0 180 Ringing' message.

I have installed the Unified Messaging Role on another server (not SP1) and can still reach it through PBXnSIP.

Does anyone have any suggestions to offer to get this working again?

What I'm looking at (if I can't get this working today) is having to:

- change the dial plans for 80 Exchange users to the new dial plan on the alternate server

- recreate the autoattendants to the alternate server (they cannot switch dial plans)

- do the move in reverse before the alternate server makes me give it a license key in 119 days.

Don't follow my lead and install SP1 unless you test it first - there's no way to remove SP1 short of wiping Exchange completely and reinstalling Exchange w/o SP1.

Redid the AA's and changed user mailboxes to the secondary server's dial plan. Not too bad, actually... now everything is hot to trot going through the UM role on the secondary server. Short-term crisis averted.

We'll still need to be back using the UM role on the primary server before the role from the secondary server expires. I've sent a message to Microsoft Support as well asking them if they can help point to the problem.

Guest Paul McCabe
Redid the AA's and changed user mailboxes to the secondary server's dial plan. Not too bad, actually... now everything is hot to trot going through the UM role on the secondary server. Short-term crisis averted.

We'll still need to be back using the UM role on the primary server before the role from the secondary server expires. I've sent a message to Microsoft Support as well asking them if they can help point to the problem.

Can you supply a trace of the problem along with things working correctly? We haven't installed SP1 as of yet on our test server...

I got it working again after applying Exchange SP1 by recreating the UMIPGateway using PowerShell instead of the management interface

new-UMIPGateway -Name:'pbxnsipgw' -Address:'xxx.xxx.xxx' -UMDialPlan:'PBXNSipDialPlan'

Set-UMServer -Identity:'yyy.yyy.yyy' -DialPlans 'PBXNSipDialPlan'

After this i created a new AutoAttendant and it all started working again.

Regards

Jonas

Hi Paul,

Nice to hear from you. Here are PBXnSIP log files of the issue:

Exchange Post SP1

Exchange RTM

Hi Jonas,

Thanks. After seeing your post I tried that as well without success. But I'm glad that it's working for you.

--

More info: a warning that is showing in the Windows Server Event Log for each call that fails is:

Cannot find a valid UM IPGateway for <pbx server ip>. A UM IPGateway must exist for <pbx server ip> and must be linked to the UM Server via a UM DialPlan/UM HuntGroup.

An MS support engineer is taking a look at the problem as well -- I'll post his insight as I get it.

Hi again,

I've done some more research with the following results:

* If I use the Exchange management console to setup UM I end up with the same error message as you (Cannot find a valid UM IPGateway for ....)

* If I follow the instructions on http://blog.lithiumblue.com/2007/04/access...ified_5019.html it works like a charm.

If I compare the two setups the thing that differs is that when I use the management console I'm forced to enter a Pilot Identifier for the Hunt Group.

Regards

Jonas

Jonas,

Thanks for the link -- I gave it another shot, but still have the same issue. I don't remember specifying pilot identifiers on either the gateway to the alternate server or the original server, but I'm doing some reading there as well. I'm going to fire up a demo PBXnSIP server on separate machine and see what happens from there, maybe there's a bug in SP1 related to the phone system and UM running on the same server. Unless yours are on the same server too...

There appears to be something prohibitive with running pbxnsip and Exchange SP1 UM on the same server. Using a separate demo system, I can get right to the Exchange server when creating everything in the GUI. Then I moved it to a port besides 5060 (as it is on the Exchange server) and did a Set-UMIPgateway and it still worked just fine.

Just to triple check, I created another brand new Dial Plan, Gateway, UM Server Association, etc. for the PBXnSIP installation on our Exchange server. Still no dice.

Our own best solution is probably to move PBXnSIP off the Exchange server permanently -- we had originally put it there so that all the phone stuff would be localized (one point of failure). So much for that line of reasoning, eh?

Looking around the web, I found someone else running a Cisco phone system that had to delete/redo their entire UM setup after a Exchange SP1 install, so it looks like there's something to that as well.

So if you're going to install Exchange SP1, allot yourself some time to redo your UM setup -- you may need it.