Voice Over VPN

TimB

We are setting a VPN between two offices, office B will have 2 extensions of of the pbxnsip server at office A

Once the VPN is up and configured will it be plug and pray (play) for these 2 remote extensions or will I still to open router ports?

Many Thanks.

We are setting a VPN between two offices, office B will have 2 extensions of of the pbxnsip server at office A

Once the VPN is up and configured will it be plug and pray (play) for these 2 remote extensions or will I still to open router ports?

Many Thanks.

This should be plug and play. This is for varying values of should that equate to: it depends on the type of of VPN, the OSI model layer the VPN operates on, the VPN routers support for dealing with lots of UDP traffic, the conditions of the internet between the two sites. I'd get this in place before it is needed and do some testing but it SHOULD work. Opening router ports definately isn't necessary unless the firewalls are really anal.

This should be plug and play. This is for varying values of should that equate to: it depends on the type of of VPN, the OSI model layer the VPN operates on, the VPN routers support for dealing with lots of UDP traffic, the conditions of the internet between the two sites. I'd get this in place before it is needed and do some testing but it SHOULD work. Opening router ports definately isn't necessary unless the firewalls are really anal.

Thanks for the feedback, both routers will be Linksys/Cisco RV042. What do you mean by the type of VPN?

There are a couple of types of VPN, generally IPSec or PPTP. You could also count the various options and derivatives (L2TP, Tunnel, Transport) but these shouldn't concern you.

You want a vanilla IPSec LAN-LAN (routed) VPN using IKE Pre-shared keys; which most devices support (including the RV042)

Some general things to watch out for;

- If you are using IPSec make sure the two sites are on different IP Subnets otherwise you'll have problems

- Make sure each PBX has a route to the remote site, I'm guessing these routers\firewalls will be the default gateways so this shouldn't be an issue

- Go for 'Routed' and aviod any NAT options, otherwise you will have the same problems as before...

Asides from that - you should be up and running without any real trouble, whether your VPN is IPSec or PPTP.

Use LAN -> LAN IPSec and it should be fine.

you are good to go on the VPN .. the default gateway will route between the 2 sites and provide internet .,

otherwise you would need to do some route statements ..

should be easy ... remember, if you can ping it .. you can ring it !!

yori

Yes, it worked great as soon as the VPN was up and running just had to change the the IP scheme from to 192.169.2.X so they were not both 192.168.1.X

One thing went right today, I'm very happy!