Remote Extension

p800aul

Hi

This is a just before I buy question really.

I have a snomone setup which works well in the main office location and one external extension (snom300) at a remote site which also works well.

At the remote site I also have pots line on which i have a regular telephone. i.e. two phones one attached to the snomone and one PSTN.

I would like to attach both to one telephone and wondered if anyone had done this with Vigor 2710Vn which has Twin VoIP Phone Ports with POTS passthrough.

Apparently with this I "can choose to make calls using VoIP via the Internet or switch over to your POTS line (your normal phone line) and dial out via the PSTN (the conventional phone network). By setting up the LCR (Least Cost Routing) facility, you can automate this process so that the router automatically sets your preferred route for calls, according to your own rules. Then, depending on the destination dialled, the router will use either your POTS line or one of up to 4 VoIP/SIP providers/gateways (for example DrayTEL)".

Which seems ideal :)

I would guess I can attach to the snomone on the VOIP side (as a SIP provider) and use the pots on the other?

Anyone tried/done this or agree that it should work?

Thanks

Paul

Ideally, you set up a VPN between the local and the remote location; then you can just route the traffic based on a simple dial plan to the remote break out. I believe Vigor supports VPN.

As soon as you introduce NAT things get tricky (but not impossible). For example, you can register a remote PSTN gateway as an extension and use the "send call to extension" entry in the dialplan to send the call to the remote PSTN as if it was an extension.

As soon as you introduce NAT things get tricky (but not impossible).

I see that said a lot but the snom300 at the remote site is working through NAT just fine. I suppose I'm asking if the Snom300 works through my current router (netgear domestic type)on NAT. Should (all things being equal) i be able to get the Vigor to connect using similar if not the same sip settings? See Here

Thanks for your input

Paul

Yea the PBX was designed to support remote SIP registrations as much as possible, including NAT, two-tier NAT, full cone, symmetrical you name it. Many gateways dont support registrations, and the other problem is how to tell the gateway which number to call (Request-URI does not work because that's fixed in the registration). Also for incoming call the PBX will believe that the call comes from a extension, not from a trunk--which might be challenging for avoiding toll fraud. I would say give it a shot; maybe it works relatively easily and then you are all set; if you run into trouble I would consider the VPN method.

Yea the PBX was designed to support remote SIP registrations as much as possible, including NAT, two-tier NAT, full cone, symmetrical you name it. Many gateways dont support registrations, and the other problem is how to tell the gateway which number to call (Request-URI does not work because that's fixed in the registration). Also for incoming call the PBX will believe that the call comes from a extension, not from a trunk--which might be challenging for avoiding toll fraud. I would say give it a shot; maybe it works relatively easily and then you are all set; if you run into trouble I would consider the VPN method.

In the interest of completeness I thought I would report back.

In testing this unit it does what it says on the tin, i.e. it registers with the snom one from a remote location and works using a pots type telephone on one of the two ports available, for both PSTN and VOIP.

I haven't set up the dial plan for the router yet to route calls either via the remote snom one or PSTN, but it looks a simple affair.

The next task is to see if I can get my snom 300 telephone to work with it for both routings (if anyone has tried that I'd love to know :unsure: )

Regards

Paul