QOS Packet Scheduler

jlumby

I am aware of the registry changes that should be made in order to set DSCP on outgoing packets, however microsoft also installs a QOS packet scheduler by default, and binds it to the NIC. Is this good, bad, or indiferent from the PBXnSIP point of view? Just wondering if I should leave it, or not.

I am aware of the registry changes that should be made in order to set DSCP on outgoing packets, however microsoft also installs a QOS packet scheduler by default, and binds it to the NIC. Is this good, bad, or indiferent from the PBXnSIP point of view? Just wondering if I should leave it, or not.

IMHO the packet scheduler makes only sense if the traffic that leaves the computer can exceed the speed limit of the NIC. For example if the NIC is connected to a T1 and you run both voice and data on it, well then a packet scheduler is really useful. If you have a 100 MBit NIC to the LAN and the computer is not a busy file server well then there it does not make sense to me.