Jump to content

Logfile in Emails


jlumby
 Share

Recommended Posts

I noticed that the service email account that is utilized to authenticate, and send daily email call summaries was sending emails to itself. It is doing this everytime anything is written to the log file. This means it is clogging it's own email box with emails that only show one line like the following:

 

Source address for sip:208@mydomain.com has changed

to udp:192.168.3.141:52868

 

I stumbled upon this when looking at mail server stats, and it had more than 200,000 emails in its box. I cannot figure out how to turn this off. My logging is set down at level 5. Any hints at how to disable this are appreciated. I am running 3.0.0.2980, and based on the number of messages, I would guess it has been doing this for several versions now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed that the service email account that is utilized to authenticate, and send daily email call summaries was sending emails to itself. It is doing this everytime anything is written to the log file. This means it is clogging it's own email box with emails that only show one line like the following:

 

Source address for sip:208@mydomain.com has changed to udp:192.168.3.141:52868

 

I stumbled upon this when looking at mail server stats, and it had more than 200,000 emails in its box. I cannot figure out how to turn this off. My logging is set down at level 5. Any hints at how to disable this are appreciated. I am running 3.0.0.2980, and based on the number of messages, I would guess it has been doing this for several versions now.

 

First of all, you can turn the email logging off for the address change my manually changing the settings "email_regstatus" (http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Global_Configuration_File); not sure what version has it. Save the pbx.xml file and see if you have the setting.

 

Second, if there are so many registration changes you are in trouble (well, at least the setup is having problems). This message tells you that there is a device that is changing the ports all the time, and that makes it pretty unreliable to call the device, or just send MWI messages. Check if there is a router with a buggy NAT implementation somewhere.

 

I don't get the part with the email loop. You mean it sends an email about the failure of sending an email?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help, I edited the config file, and it stopped the emails. As for the loop, I must have described it improperly. What I was saying is that the email account that you setup so the PBX can send emails, you would assume is just a service account to authenticate with to send. Most people would assume that it would never receive anything. The actuality is that the PBX sends emails to that account as well. You would also assume that all of the logging to email features would be listed as options in the GUI. You wouls also assume that if any logging to email was being done, that there would be a space within the GUI for an email logging recipient (similar to the daily call log recipient). But the end result is that it is fixed now.

It also made me look into why I was getting so many emails. Turns out that some phones I have, the value for when the registration expires is set in seconds, while others are measured in minutes. The end result is I had a bunch of extensions re-registering every minute. This has since been cut way back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help, I edited the config file, and it stopped the emails. As for the loop, I must have described it improperly. What I was saying is that the email account that you setup so the PBX can send emails, you would assume is just a service account to authenticate with to send. Most people would assume that it would never receive anything. The actuality is that the PBX sends emails to that account as well. You would also assume that all of the logging to email features would be listed as options in the GUI. You wouls also assume that if any logging to email was being done, that there would be a space within the GUI for an email logging recipient (similar to the daily call log recipient). But the end result is that it is fixed now.

It also made me look into why I was getting so many emails. Turns out that some phones I have, the value for when the registration expires is set in seconds, while others are measured in minutes. The end result is I had a bunch of extensions re-registering every minute. This has since been cut way back.

 

Yea we have to add a new web page with the options that control what emails are actually being sent out. Though the default should be that all of these emails are sent, because each one of them reports a problem that the administrator should look into.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...