pno Configuration

John Reinert

During the process of resolving e-mail issues I updated to several versions of the software for the CS410. E-mail seems to be fixed now, however it looks like the System configuratio page for PNP setup has what looks like duplicate or similar entries. Attached is a screen shot of the PNP page. Notice the duplicate entries for snom phones. I am also having problems using auto provision to setup my snom 300 phones. If I clear the settings on the phones, then allow them to re-boot they seem to load a configuration but then the phone wants to update the software. It reboots again and ends up in a "Requesting DHCP...." loop.

post-581-1219973043_thumb.jpg

During the process of resolving e-mail issues I updated to several versions of the software for the CS410. E-mail seems to be fixed now, however it looks like the System configuratio page for PNP setup has what looks like duplicate or similar entries. Attached is a screen shot of the PNP page. Notice the duplicate entries for snom phones. I am also having problems using auto provision to setup my snom 300 phones. If I clear the settings on the phones, then allow them to re-boot they seem to load a configuration but then the phone wants to update the software. It reboots again and ends up in a "Requesting DHCP...." loop.

Unfortunately, the PBX only adds entries to the PnP settings... Not really a reason for concern, obsolete settings are just ignored. If you don't like this mess, you can delete the files in the directory "pnp_parms" and restart the system. Then you see only the parameters that are referenced in plug and play setup.

The 3.0 version suggests that you update snom to 7.1.35, so it is okay if the phone wants to retrieve the new software. Depending on the firmware version, the DHCP loop is one reason why the software upgrade makes sense...... You have to power-cycle the phones in order to fetch the latest firmware.

Unfortunately, the PBX only adds entries to the PnP settings... Not really a reason for concern, obsolete settings are just ignored. If you don't like this mess, you can delete the files in the directory "pnp_parms" and restart the system. Then you see only the parameters that are referenced in plug and play setup.

The 3.0 version suggests that you update snom to 7.1.35, so it is okay if the phone wants to retrieve the new software. Depending on the firmware version, the DHCP loop is one reason why the software upgrade makes sense...... You have to power-cycle the phones in order to fetch the latest firmware.

ok, as long as only the most recent setting are used then I am good with that.

The problem still is that after the phone reboots because of the software update to 7.1.35 it keeps looping displaying the message "Sending DHCP requests" The phone keeps looping and looping showing this message. Every once in a while, it will reboot the phone and start the process all over again. If I interrupt this loop, and "reset" the values stored in the phone then it will reboot and provision from the PBX. But, then right away it wants to reboot again to get the software. Then the phone is back to the "Sending DHCP request" loop. This happens on all of my snom 3xx phones.

ok, as long as only the most recent setting are used then I am good with that.

The problem still is that after the phone reboots because of the software update to 7.1.35 it keeps looping displaying the message "Sending DHCP requests" The phone keeps looping and looping showing this message. Every once in a while, it will reboot the phone and start the process all over again. If I interrupt this loop, and "reset" the values stored in the phone then it will reboot and provision from the PBX. But, then right away it wants to reboot again to get the software. Then the phone is back to the "Sending DHCP request" loop. This happens on all of my snom 3xx phones.

Does the phone actually download the software? What you can do is putting the software locally on the server (into the tftp directory) and then point the firmware to something like http://ip-adr:port/tftp/firmware-name.bin.

And it would be important to check why the DHCP does not work. Is your Ethernet switch doing STP (spanning tree)? I heared that is a problem, consider turning it off to see if that is the problem.