Problems calling out on Cisco 7961

jlumby

I have one installation that is having a strange problem calling out, and it is intermitent. The problem only exists when calling across a trunk, internal calling works fine. When you dial the phone number, the phone just sits there, despite the dialplan telling it to dial, or pushing the dial button. In the background it authenticates with the PBX, however the PBX never sends the final sip packet containing the 200 OK. Then when I hang the phone up, and it cancels the call with the PBX, the pbx goes on to send the 200 OK and place the call through the itsp. This customer is running 3.0.0.2998 I have noticed that the pbx logs the error

Via is empty, cannot send reply

Despite the via field having content in it.

I am attaching the pcap, and logfile to this post.

The pcap was done from a remote phone, however the same problem exists within the office where there is no NAT

I have one installation that is having a strange problem calling out, and it is intermitent. The problem only exists when calling across a trunk, internal calling works fine. When you dial the phone number, the phone just sits there, despite the dialplan telling it to dial, or pushing the dial button. In the background it authenticates with the PBX, however the PBX never sends the final sip packet containing the 200 OK. Then when I hang the phone up, and it cancels the call with the PBX, the pbx goes on to send the 200 OK and place the call through the itsp. This customer is running 3.0.0.2998 I have noticed that the pbx logs the error

Via is empty, cannot send reply

Despite the via field having content in it.

I am attaching the pcap, and logfile to this post.

The pcap was done from a remote phone, however the same problem exists within the office where there is no NAT

Is there any reason why you are using 8.3? I remember some of the 8 versions were not very good. What is the latest? 8.6? Do you have a chance to give that a shot?

From the logs I must say it seems that the phone has some problem authenticating. I does not respond to challenges and that is really strange.

Now that I look at the packet capture more carefully, I agree that it is not responding. I have poured over it for almost a day now, and I cannot figure out why. The thing that really confuses me is I can dial extensions on the same switch, and they work without a problem, or if I register a second line to a different PBXnSIP switch, the problem does not exist. I have used these phones in 5 installs now, and this one customer is the only one that has the problem. I am at a complete loss.

As for firmware, I was only 1 version behind. I have since upgraded to 8.4.1 and it has not made a difference. 8.4.1 is about a month old. As for thinking the latest was 8.6, I think you might be thinking of the 7960. The 7960's version numbers are ahead of the 79x1 and newer models (phones that use the xml config file) The current version for the 7960, and 7940 phones is 8.9.0

Now that I look at the packet capture more carefully, I agree that it is not responding. I have poured over it for almost a day now, and I cannot figure out why. The thing that really confuses me is I can dial extensions on the same switch, and they work without a problem, or if I register a second line to a different PBXnSIP switch, the problem does not exist. I have used these phones in 5 installs now, and this one customer is the only one that has the problem. I am at a complete loss.

Maybe some problem on Ethernet layer (maybe spanning tree problems, LLDP or something with the configuration of the Ethernet switch)? Maybe something stupid like a broken cable or the default gateway or netmask not okay.

As for firmware, I was only 1 version behind. I have since upgraded to 8.4.1 and it has not made a difference. 8.4.1 is about a month old. As for thinking the latest was 8.6, I think you might be thinking of the 7960. The 7960's version numbers are ahead of the 79x1 and newer models (phones that use the xml config file) The current version for the 7960, and 7940 phones is 8.9.0

Yea, I had the 7960 in mind. I would say ACK routing is so extremly basic that I would rule out firmware problems here.