PRI Gateway Backwards

jlumby

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a PRI gateway backwards. What I mean by this is instead of having a PRI from the phone company come into the gateway, and connect to the PBXnSIP as a trunk, is it possible to have the gateway register as an extension, and use a crossover cable to connect the gateway to the customer's existing phone system.

The reason for this is I have a customer that is really interested in utilizing the PBXnSIP for the conference bridge, as well as the monthly savings on their bill by being able to use an ITSP, however they are happy with their current phone system, and I would be hard pressed to talking them into replacing all of the phones that they currently have, as well as adding new cable since not all phones have cat 5 running anywhere near them.

If you have had some experience doing something similar to this, can you post the manufacturer/model number you have tested out.

• 2 months later...
I was wondering if anyone has ever used a PRI gateway backwards. What I mean by this is instead of having a PRI from the phone company come into the gateway, and connect to the PBXnSIP as a trunk, is it possible to have the gateway register as an extension, and use a crossover cable to connect the gateway to the customer's existing phone system.

The reason for this is I have a customer that is really interested in utilizing the PBXnSIP for the conference bridge, as well as the monthly savings on their bill by being able to use an ITSP, however they are happy with their current phone system, and I would be hard pressed to talking them into replacing all of the phones that they currently have, as well as adding new cable since not all phones have cat 5 running anywhere near them.

If you have had some experience doing something similar to this, can you post the manufacturer/model number you have tested out.

I believe that was in the beginning the business of gateway companies; at least for Vegastream. Businesses had a PBX and they saw no reason to change it; the only thing was that they wanted home users to connect via Internet.