SIP Trunk Registration Problems when running more than 1 trunk

BlueWolf

SIP Trunk Registration Problems when running more than 1 trunk.

I having problems trying to get two SIP trunks to register together and stay registered.

Setup Info

Gateway Sonicwall NSA 2400.

Nat Enabled YES

Operating System: RedHat Enterprise Server RHEL5

PBXnSIP Version: 3.0.0.2998

Licence status Permanent

ISP: TPG

ITSP: Mytel

License Details

We purchased the office25 pack from Alloy Computer Products

It’s supposed to support 2 Trunks by default plus we have purchased an additional trunk because we intend to run 3. We have installed the new license over the top of the old one as instructed.

Problem Scenario

When running just 1 trunk the system seems reasonably stable.

When I configure the additional trunk (Same ITSP) the 2nd trunk registers but and after a few seconds then the first trunk drops it’s registration and will NOT re-register.

So far I have tried:

1) The usual rebooting procedure but it doesn’t help.

2) Re-Installed the system from scratch.

3) Other ITSPs IE: Engin, Comvergence and ISPhone

4) Checked with the ITSP. There are no restrictions on multiple SIP registrations from the same Public IP.

5) Various routers without firewall enabled

6) Configured a second LAN adapter with a Public address

and I STILL get the same results.

Please can anybody help ???

• 1 month later...
SIP Trunk Registration Problems when running more than 1 trunk.

I having problems trying to get two SIP trunks to register together and stay registered.

Setup Info

Gateway Sonicwall NSA 2400.

Nat Enabled YES

Operating System: RedHat Enterprise Server RHEL5

PBXnSIP Version: 3.0.0.2998

Licence status Permanent

ISP: TPG

ITSP: Mytel

License Details

We purchased the office25 pack from Alloy Computer Products

It's supposed to support 2 Trunks by default plus we have purchased an additional trunk because we intend to run 3. We have installed the new license over the top of the old one as instructed.

Problem Scenario

When running just 1 trunk the system seems reasonably stable.

When I configure the additional trunk (Same ITSP) the 2nd trunk registers but and after a few seconds then the first trunk drops it's registration and will NOT re-register.

So far I have tried:

1) The usual rebooting procedure but it doesn't help.

2) Re-Installed the system from scratch.

3) Other ITSPs IE: Engin, Comvergence and ISPhone

4) Checked with the ITSP. There are no restrictions on multiple SIP registrations from the same Public IP.

5) Various routers without firewall enabled

6) Configured a second LAN adapter with a Public address

and I STILL get the same results.

Please can anybody help ???

I would disable the NAT support on the firewall to see if that is the problem.

Unfortunately without the NAT support the SIP trunk will register and be able to recieve incomming calls but then you can't dial out.

As far as I know Mytel still belongs to the service providers who do not provide any kind of session border controller (SBC) functionality to their customers and instead requires that customers have a public IP address. Trying to workaround this fact will not make the solution more stable... If they require a public IP address maybe you should listen to them and get one for the PBX.

Why the SonicWall has only one registration is just another mystery. I guess we can spend a lot of time trying to figure out what happens between the service provider and the firewall. I could imagine it is something stupid like the service provider associates a registration with a IP address/port and that is why you can have only one registration.

A packet log from the firewall on the public interface will make this problem visible. If you have the time to troubleshoot this, put a Ethernet hub on the public Ethernet interface of the firewall and record the traffic with Wireshark. Then we can all take a look at this and find out if the problem is on the service provider side, the firewall side or somewhere else.