Can you dial a number, pause, then send DTMF in dialplan

tirmason

In the UK it is possible to make cheap calls to mobiles by dialling a 08717549090, waiting for the person to start talking, and then dialling the international number (i.e. sending the outbound number as DTMF tones).

Is it possible to route calls to mobiles through this number?

Costs are as low as 6p per minute (as opposed to 12p per minute with most SIP providers).

In the UK it is possible to make cheap calls to mobiles by dialling a 08717549090, waiting for the person to start talking, and then dialling the international number (i.e. sending the outbound number as DTMF tones).

Is it possible to route calls to mobiles through this number?

Costs are as low as 6p per minute (as opposed to 12p per minute with most SIP providers).

Someone mentioned recently that cell phones have a feature that allows to put pause into the address book entries. That was a trick to get it working.

The PBX itself does not support two-stage dialling. The first stage SIP is completely different from the second stage which would be DTMF. But some PSTN gateways may be able to perform this task. From the PBX perspective, all it does is dial a SIP URI!

• 2 years later...

Someone mentioned recently that cell phones have a feature that allows to put pause into the address book entries. That was a trick to get it working.

The PBX itself does not support two-stage dialling. The first stage SIP is completely different from the second stage which would be DTMF. But some PSTN gateways may be able to perform this task. From the PBX perspective, all it does is dial a SIP URI!

I was just wondering how to do that.

Any chance it would have changed since this answer was posted in 2008?

I was thinking about creating a backup Dialplan to route inter-office calls through the PSTN, then to final destination using a pause before sending the extension number as DTMF... is there still no option to do that?