accessing pbxnsip remotely using OCS

joso

hi there, i was curious to know how someone external (with a polycom phone and headset for ocs) would access ocs and pbxnsip that is internal. in this guide at the bottom http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Office_C...ications_Server it has a diagram showing a sample setup, the only thing external is the ocs edge server. we are currently testing the same kind of setup and would like to know how we would go about setting up remote users to access (pbxnsip or OCS?) to the DMZ (What server should be here) first?

Joso

hi there, i was curious to know how someone external (with a polycom phone and headset for ocs) would access ocs and pbxnsip that is internal. in this guide at the bottom http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Office_C...ications_Server it has a diagram showing a sample setup, the only thing external is the ocs edge server. we are currently testing the same kind of setup and would like to know how we would go about setting up remote users to access (pbxnsip or OCS?) to the DMZ (What server should be here) first?

Well, if you have Polycom phone then you would just register the phone with the PBX. You can use the guidelines in http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Office_w...ic_IP_addresses for registering the phone.

thanks so much, that was exactly what i was looking for.

Quick question, i am looking at a polycom phone for the receptionist with OCS which she is capable of forwrding all calls to different users since we don't have direct numbers (She answers all incoming calls to 1 number). I was thinking of the cx700 for her, or is that overkill for her.

Also, what is the recommended conference phones for the boardroom? Preferably polycom.

Thanks

Joso

Hello Joso,

using pbxnsip and OCS you have two different options for remote user (home office, on the road, etc). You can use one or both of them.

1) is using pbxnsip and Standard SIP phone's from Polycom or other manufacturer and the guide mentioned by pbxnsip.

2) deploy an OCS Edge Server in the DMZ. Use Office Communicator, Tanjay's (like the Polycom cx700, LG-Nortel IP540) or the Snom OCS Edition.

! Note that CX700 and IP8540 are in fact Communicators running on Windows CE. They can only register at OCS / OCS Edge.

Maybe the Snom OCS Edtition is the most flexible choice for your plan. Cause this phones can register on nearly everthing (OCS, OCS Edge, pbxnsip, asterisk, CallManager, Nortel, etc.). It offers you also a broad range of simple phones, up to high end. More infos @ www.snom.com

Pro's for OCS Edge: Presence, IM, VoIP, Video, Live Meeting from anywhere, Support for Communicator Mobile (PocketPC) - Build Federations with other organisations using OCS, connect to MSN, Yahoo, AOL Messenger Clouds, Federate with Microsoft.

Con's for OCS Edge: the DMZ deployment is against all traditional firewall best practices. Check out Designing your perimeter for OCS Whitepaper

For a quick overview, I added a picture which shows you deployment infrastructure.

The diagram you mentioned at the of the OCS-pbxnsip WIKI article was made be me and show's a real deployment that our team did. If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to ask :)

Best regards,

Jan

post-167-1235458093_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

I can't seem to find the reason for dmz going against best practices within the document. Currently we only have 1 cisco firewall, not 2

What about conference units, i didn't see snom having a unit for boardrooms.

would you happen to have a comparison chart for snom models as i couldn't find one.

Thanks

Joso

Permanently open 10000 ports on TCP and 10000 ports on UDP on your external firewall, inbound and outbound for any IP-adress does not make you nervous? :D Our security officers say: That is not enterprise ready! What we miss in the MS product range is a SIP-TLS reading firewall that can open & close the required port's in realtime.

1 firewall is ok, but do not NAT the OCS A/V Edge Server internal and external IP address.

Snom OCS Edition Unit for boardrooms? Like a conference spider? Is under devolepment and should be available in January / Februar 2009.

Please ask Tim Köhler - tk@snom.com for a comparison chart. Maybe he can help you. You can also request the Snom OCS Edition firmware from him.

Best regards,

Jan

Hello Joso,

maybe this comparison fit's you expectations: http://www.provu.co.uk/Snom-comparison-table.html

Only the M3 and 820 are missing.

best regards

Jan

Your welcome! :)

Yes, you can use roundtable as a conf-spider. We do. We like the AudioQuality very much and the 6 integrated microphones (you can extend with 2 more external as an option for large conf-tables.)

But dont forget it is around 3000 $ or € and you need a communicator running on a PC or Laptop. RoundTable is only USB, not a standalone!

BTW: in OCS R2 - HD Video is introduced, but only in 1 to 1 video with special Polycom HD-Cam for OCS. And both clients need to run QUADCORE! Yes you reading it correct ;)

Best regards from Barcelona (Microsoft Tech-Ed),

Jan

Considering RoundTable please see it live if you can, before buying! You and your boss should check if it can fit your VideoConf Requirements. Note: the 360 Panorama View is just CIFS 15 pictures / sec! And the main speaker Video is VGA in max. under best conditions. Dont expect to much from it, especially when it comes to big Flat-Screens.

I expierenced also. you cant stretch the panorama over two screens ;)

One thing is really cool and unique: Active Speaker switching in the main Speaker Video, with Roundtable but also other OC-Videoenabled Clients.

You will also find a analog line option in the buttom of Roundtable. This allows you to connect it to an analog port on a pstn-gateway or things like that. You will have a touchscreen keypad on RoundTable to dial trough this line. I never tested this, but it is described in the manuals.

Sorry, but I am not familiar with the Polycom product range. AFAIK they got Spiders that use standard SIP and can register at pbxnsip.

Best regards,

Jan

on your first post, you quoted: "deploy an OCS Edge Server in the DMZ. Use Office Communicator, Tanjay's (like the Polycom cx700, LG-Nortel IP540) or the Snom OCS Edition."

could i use a jabra headset instead of a hardphone or a snom 320 phone? for the external users with communicator?

Your external Communicator Users with a PC or Laptop can use any Headset. But there are Headsets available optimized for Communicator and they have their own DSP (no soundcard usage, no special driver). Their On/Off-Hook Button will control the communicator. This is quite comfortable and a good audio experience is promised.

GN Jabra, Plantronics and LG_Nortel offer such devices. Check for the "Optimized for Office Communicator" Logo.

Any of the snom 300-370 or 820 series is also able to "play outside" of your enterprise network, cause they support ICE (TURN/STUN) like the communicator.

It is just your choice what you or your user like more.

btw. the Top-Model of GN Jabra is OC optimized & can be connected to Snom phones and via USB in parallel. Please Google for

GN 9350 OC Dual Link 1.9 GHz Office Wireless Headset System 300 ft range 8 hr talk

It is quite expensive :wacko: but our team is loving it. :)

Best regards,

Jan

• 3 months later...

Update for you on Snom Conference Solution for OCS R1 / R2 :D

new snom MeetingPoint at CeBIT (03.03. - 03.08. 2009) – with post-167-1235269170_thumb.png

post-167-1235186771_thumb.png

At CeBIT 2009 snom will present its conferencing solution snom MeetingPoint. The snom MeetingPoint features:

Available with "snom OCS edition" to connect to Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 (R2)

More details to be announced on CeBIT

Under the beautyfull designer dress and great soundsystem by Konftel a Snom (not a joke) is hidden. Like for the 3xx and 820, an OCS Edition will bei available.

If you like to see more Detail regarding the default cool features and accessories by Konftel please take a look

NOW Imagine this connected to your OCS enviroment :D Great isn't it? It was possible cause of the new partnership

Please continue reading more about it here.

Best regards

Jan

post-167-1235274010_thumb.png