DIAL PLAN-TRUNKING TWO PBX's

Friedom-Tech

HI;

i am in the process of setting up two offices in two different states.

i have one pbx in each location, i have successfully trunked the two pbx's but have the following issues with dial plans.

The extensions in Office #1 are 1XX and 2XX and the extensions in office #2 are 3XX.

My questions are as follows:

1) What is the best way to setup the dial plan that when office #1 wants to call office #2 they can enter their extension number only without having to add a fourth digit to the extension. (ie a dial plan with 3* and a replacement of 3*??)

in addition to this since office #1 has an issue where some of their extensions begin with 1 (which is the possible prefix to all US calls) what is the best way to maintain 3 digit extensions without running into issues?

2) I would also like to setup that if for whatever reason the SIP trunk from office #2 goes down they can backup off of Office #1's PRI line for outgoing calls...how do i set this up?

3) When someone calls into the Auto Attendant at office #1 i need for them to be able to call office #2 by dialing the three digit extension (currently it gives a message saying that "you do not have permission to call this extension")

please advise asap as i am going live this week.

Thank you;

i am in the process of setting up two offices in two different states.

i have one pbx in each location, i have successfully trunked the two pbx's but have the following issues with dial plans.

This is a case of having seperate domains that want to call each other. Although they are located in different states, the case is not so much different than having the domains in the same data center, but on different CPU.

The extensions in Office #1 are 1XX and 2XX and the extensions in office #2 are 3XX.

My questions are as follows:

1) What is the best way to setup the dial plan that when office #1 wants to call office #2 they can enter their extension number only without having to add a fourth digit to the extension. (ie a dial plan with 3* and a replacement of 3*??)

in addition to this since office #1 has an issue where some of their extensions begin with 1 (which is the possible prefix to all US calls) what is the best way to maintain 3 digit extensions without running into issues?

First of all, you probably need two trunks in gateway mode. Both of them should trust each other, e.g. turn the accept redirect on (that should help with the question 2 below).

I would stay away from prefix 1, it has a lot of problems (1xxxxxxxxxx being one of them). Better choose something in the 3xx-6xx area, if the business cards are not printed yet... You can use pattern 3xx and no replacement to route calls that have three digits. If you want to make a routing entry for x11 then you can just give that one a lower priority.

2) I would also like to setup that if for whatever reason the SIP trunk from office #2 goes down they can backup off of Office #1's PRI line for outgoing calls...how do i set this up?

You need to set the setting "Assume that call comes from user" for that. Then the PBX can use the dial plan of that extension, and it can also charge that extension.

3) When someone calls into the Auto Attendant at office #1 i need for them to be able to call office #2 by dialing the three digit extension (currently it gives a message saying that "you do not have permission to call this extension")

Hmm. Ideas are: A. Use the direct destinations (if there is still space available). B. Set up "ghost" extensions with static registrations that point to the other system, have no mailbox and an impossible-to-guess password. Not very beautiful, but that might solve the problem if there are noo many extensions in the other location.

1XXneeds to stay the same because the cards are already printed...do you have any options whatsoever to resolve this?

i will try the other suggestions and let you know.

This is a case of having seperate domains that want to call each other. Although they are located in different states, the case is not so much different than having the domains in the same data center, but on different CPU.

First of all, you probably need two trunks in gateway mode. Both of them should trust each other, e.g. turn the accept redirect on (that should help with the question 2 below).

I would stay away from prefix 1, it has a lot of problems (1xxxxxxxxxx being one of them). Better choose something in the 3xx-6xx area, if the business cards are not printed yet... You can use pattern 3xx and no replacement to route calls that have three digits. If you want to make a routing entry for x11 then you can just give that one a lower priority.

You need to set the setting "Assume that call comes from user" for that. Then the PBX can use the dial plan of that extension, and it can also charge that extension.

Hmm. Ideas are: A. Use the direct destinations (if there is still space available). B. Set up "ghost" extensions with static registrations that point to the other system, have no mailbox and an impossible-to-guess password. Not very beautiful, but that might solve the problem if there are noo many extensions in the other location.

Well, you can deal with that. But then you have to work with timeouts (in the AA, direct destinations). It works, but is not very beautiful.

well this issue is not only the auto attendant but internal users who are trying to call each other!

is there no way to make a dial plan that only calls with 1XX should use the trunk that connects the two systems and all other calls beggining with 1 IE 1XXXXXXXXXX should go out through the regular sip trunk?

please advise asap

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO IT...NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!

all i did was made a dial plan as follows:

Pref Trunk Pattern Replacement

100-NY 1xx

100-NY 2xx

110-Callcentric *

so if the number beginning with 1 has three digits it goes out to NY trunk and if it has more than three digits it uses callcentric.

is this good??

well this issue is not only the auto attendant but internal users who are trying to call each other!

is there no way to make a dial plan that only calls with 1XX should use the trunk that connects the two systems and all other calls beggining with 1 IE 1XXXXXXXXXX should go out through the regular sip trunk?

please advise asap

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO IT...NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!

all i did was made a dial plan as follows:

Pref Trunk Pattern Replacement

100-NY 1xx

100-NY 2xx

110-Callcentric *

so if the number beginning with 1 has three digits it goes out to NY trunk and if it has more than three digits it uses callcentric.

is this good??

I would change the preferences a little bit to 100 and 101 to make crystal clear what the preference is. But apart from that, that looks fine.