snom ONE mini NTP config...

Guest Ian Beeby

Guest Ian Beeby

I've re-purposed an old snom ONE mini plug-top pbx - the psu failed so I have mounted it in a die-cast box - I'm connected to sipgate and miso-comms.net SIP servers and I have got my old Nortel 1535 VideoPhone running.  All good BUT:

In the ip setup (Admin:System:IP Setup) I cannot seem to get the thing to connect to an NTP server.  I have put in the address of my router, and the ip address of a known public NTP server AND several fqdns of pubic NTP servers.  The wretched thing is still giving log files dated 1985.  We're not in 1985 anymore.  There are no error messages that I can see and no log-file entries reporting any issues (as far as I have found so far).

Any ideas?

Software version is reported to be: 4.5.0.1090 Epsilon Geminids (snom ONE mini) - is there an update that might resolve this?

Ian

I would point the NTP server to an IP address where you can run Wireshark. Then you'll see if and what NTP packet arrives there.

A failing PSU is a sign that this device might be seeing its last day soon... Vodia IOP is a worthy successor. If you can backup the configuration, you should be able to import it to the new system.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ian Beeby

Thanks, I'll try intercepting packets with WireShark.  I'm quite sure that the unit is not working with external NTP servers (but will look further) and I am not sure that my current router has an NTP server built in.  I do have other devices on the network that can act as NTP servers and I will try one of those in conjunction with a packet analyser.

As to the power supply, the PBX unit appears to be an Indian designed low-cost general purpose computer (very similar to a Raspberry PI) and it quite happily runs for months at a time.  The built-in plug-top PSU died the usual death that those things die of but at least it failed open circuit so no damage was done to the CPU board.  Now running on a proper PSU it is just fine.  Also in a screened die-cast box it is meeting (my own personal) high EMC standards.

From a capacity point of view, the unit is quite comfortably running the small number of 'phones in our house with currently three external SIP lines.  Its making a very useful self-training tool for me.  If only the CDRs were for this year rather than 1985!

Ian