E911 Help

jlumby

I was reading the brief documentation on the Emergency Destination Number field that the domain, as well as each extension has. The documentation has me a little more confused than before I read it. To the best of my understanding, the online documentation (http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Release_Notes_3.0.0#E911_Enhancements) said 2 things whick kind of contradict eachother. The first is that "Now when someone dials a number listed as E911 number, the PBX will always send that call to a trunk." and the second is that "so that E911 essentially works like a speed dial" So here is my understanding: The system sees the extension dial a number that is listed as an E911 number (where is the list that the pbx is checking against?) and therefore when it discovers this match it speed dials the value that is currently in the Emergency Destination Number field. The problem is this. The documentation says that the pbx will always send the call to a trunk. On the PSTN, what number would you be speed dialing other than 911? The second issue is if I setup ITSP account to support multiple E911 locations, they want me to identify the location based on the caller ID. If the system's Emergency Destination Number field worked like a speed dial, then I could point it to an extension that had an ANI value corrisponding with my E911 location, and then set that extension to forward all calls to 911. The problem with this is the documentation states "Now when someone dials a number listed as E911 number, the PBX will always send that call to a trunk." since it would be going through an extension to get the proper ANI, this would not qualify as a trunk destination for the Emergency Destination Number field. So with all of this said, what is the best way to do multiple E911 locations on 1 system when the ITSP identifies the location based on CallerID?

I was reading the brief documentation on the Emergency Destination Number field that the domain, as well as each extension has. The documentation has me a little more confused than before I read it. To the best of my understanding, the online documentation (http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Release_Notes_3.0.0#E911_Enhancements) said 2 things whick kind of contradict eachother. The first is that "Now when someone dials a number listed as E911 number, the PBX will always send that call to a trunk." and the second is that "so that E911 essentially works like a speed dial" So here is my understanding: The system sees the extension dial a number that is listed as an E911 number (where is the list that the pbx is checking against?) and therefore when it discovers this match it speed dials the value that is currently in the Emergency Destination Number field. The problem is this. The documentation says that the pbx will always send the call to a trunk. On the PSTN, what number would you be speed dialing other than 911?

The point here is that there are customers who set up extensions with numbers like 911 and then nobody can call for help any more. Therefore, when someone calls 911 and there is a extension with the name 911, the PBX will skip that extension and attempt and outbound call.

The second issue is if I setup ITSP account to support multiple E911 locations, they want me to identify the location based on the caller ID. If the system's Emergency Destination Number field worked like a speed dial, then I could point it to an extension that had an ANI value corrisponding with my E911 location, and then set that extension to forward all calls to 911. The problem with this is the documentation states "Now when someone dials a number listed as E911 number, the PBX will always send that call to a trunk." since it would be going through an extension to get the proper ANI, this would not qualify as a trunk destination for the Emergency Destination Number field. So with all of this said, what is the best way to do multiple E911 locations on 1 system when the ITSP identifies the location based on CallerID?

Of course, it is not 100 % speed dial. The point is that in many VoIP installations you cannot just pass 911 to the PSTN gateway or ITSP, because the user is located in another location than the PSTN gateway. Then you have to dial the ten-digit emergency number which resolves to the local "police station" (or whoever is providing that service).

If the service provider does that already for you, you can just pass the 911 and things are very easy.

OK, in my case I am ok just sending 911 to my ITSP, however, since I am going to have multiple branch offices at different physical locations, they want to identify my location based on my outbound ANI. The problem is I only want to send that specific ANI when dialing 911, I want to send a different ANI for all other calls. Is there a way to do this?

OK, in my case I am ok just sending 911 to my ITSP, however, since I am going to have multiple branch offices at different physical locations, they want to identify my location based on my outbound ANI. The problem is I only want to send that specific ANI when dialing 911, I want to send a different ANI for all other calls. Is there a way to do this?

Starting in 3.1 you can specify what ANI to use when going through a specific trunk. If you are using the gateway mode and set the trunk for outbound only, then you should be able to solve that problem.