Sending faxes causes phones to ring

russelln

hi,

well today... I use my fax machine and my phones start ringing, for some reason when I go to send a fax, the box shares a line with the fax machine, the local hunt group starts ringing like I am sending the call to myself, you can hear the fax on the system when answering the phone, I am not dailing my own number, why does the box answer when sending out going faxes, it has never done this before, and I have not changed a thing?

well today... I use my fax machine and my phones start ringing, for some reason when I go to send a fax, the box shares a line with the fax machine, the local hunt group starts ringing like I am sending the call to myself, you can hear the fax on the system when answering the phone, I am not dailing my own number, why does the box answer when sending out going faxes, it has never done this before, and I have not changed a thing?

Sounds a little bit like an electrical shortcut? Not sure if you can physically share the same line for two purposes, but I am not the big FXO expert.

hi,

Let me start off by saying that you have an improper connection.

Ideally you should use a FXS Adapter like the Grandstream HT-502. (It has 2 FXS ports, supports t.38 and is inexpensive)

Although your method will allow you to send and receive faxes, there are trade offs such as you are experiencing.

Check and make sure the fax is dialling with DTMF tones and not Dial Pulse (DP).

Dial pulses produce a "Kickback" (collapsing field) voltage that may be interpreted by the CS-410 as an incomming ringing signal.

Sometimes even simply picking up and hanging up on the shared line can trigger the same results.

Also, when the fax is in use (in or outbound) you presently have no indication on the phones (LED's).

And since there is no Privacy with your configuration and you happen to pick up while the fax is in use, you will hear the fax data and may even disconnect it.

Another possibility is that IF the CS-410 has any type of "Fax Detection" ability it will hear the tones and begin to ring the phones.

You said: "why does the box answer when sending out going faxes, it has never done this before, and I have not changed a thing?"

Well I'm sure that you didn't change anything but your local telephone service provider MAY have.

Something as simple as replacing or transferring your service in a cable miles away from your location can change the PSTN line characteristics.

Maybe even an "Upgrade" made to some outside equipment could be the cause.

My suggestion is to use the proper method and get some type of FXS adapter and you will see the trouble disappear.

Bill H

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply Bill,

we are using tone dialing, the thing is on line 2, so it is just an inconvience when it is in use, you just hear the fax if you send a call on 2 when it is in use, my plan has been to get a sip trunk for outgoing eventually and keep the analog for incomming.

the idea of something being changed in the outside world did not even occur to me...one change somewhere else, causing all kinds of changes everywhere else,

I guess I will make my fax connection more elegant...now if I can just get the tapi server to work...

Russell

Let me start off by saying that you have an improper connection.

Ideally you should use a FXS Adapter like the Grandstream HT-502. (It has 2 FXS ports, supports t.38 and is inexpensive)

Although your method will allow you to send and receive faxes, there are trade offs such as you are experiencing.

Check and make sure the fax is dialling with DTMF tones and not Dial Pulse (DP).

Dial pulses produce a "Kickback" (collapsing field) voltage that may be interpreted by the CS-410 as an incomming ringing signal.

Sometimes even simply picking up and hanging up on the shared line can trigger the same results.

Also, when the fax is in use (in or outbound) you presently have no indication on the phones (LED's).

And since there is no Privacy with your configuration and you happen to pick up while the fax is in use, you will hear the fax data and may even disconnect it.

Another possibility is that IF the CS-410 has any type of "Fax Detection" ability it will hear the tones and begin to ring the phones.

You said: "why does the box answer when sending out going faxes, it has never done this before, and I have not changed a thing?"

Well I'm sure that you didn't change anything but your local telephone service provider MAY have.

Something as simple as replacing or transferring your service in a cable miles away from your location can change the PSTN line characteristics.

Maybe even an "Upgrade" made to some outside equipment could be the cause.

My suggestion is to use the proper method and get some type of FXS adapter and you will see the trouble disappear.

Bill H