Failover

Tom Waterman

How can I setup a redundant/failover installation of PBXnSIP. I have 2 servers in 2 different locations that are connected via a run of point to point fiber with just media converters at each end. I want 1 server to be the main server but should it ever die I need to be able to use the backup. Is this possible and if so is there a document that provides instruction.

Thank you in advance!

Tom

How can I setup a redundant/failover installation of PBXnSIP. I have 2 servers in 2 different locations that are connected via a run of point to point fiber with just media converters at each end. I want 1 server to be the main server but should it ever die I need to be able to use the backup. Is this possible and if so is there a document that provides instruction.

At the moment you need to use the Windows Server features for failover. Those features include file system replication, and also service recovery. Don't ask me details, I just heared it is possible to set everything up. And it costs more than you pay for two PBX licenses together. Seems like the OS vendor knows how valuable this feature may be!

For the next major release, we want to make this job easier and include some basic settings that also automatically bring up a secondary service.

If you can wait a little, you can just make sure that you run a backup job every night and have a second server ready to go when the first hardware fails. Then the failover would have to be done manually (or by a hand-crafted script).

At the moment you need to use the Windows Server features for failover. Those features include file system replication, and also service recovery. Don't ask me details, I just heared it is possible to set everything up. And it costs more than you pay for two PBX licenses together. Seems like the OS vendor knows how valuable this feature may be!

For the next major release, we want to make this job easier and include some basic settings that also automatically bring up a secondary service.

If you can wait a little, you can just make sure that you run a backup job every night and have a second server ready to go when the first hardware fails. Then the failover would have to be done manually (or by a hand-crafted script).

The secondary server will have all of the same information the primary does. Should I use the same IP address? That way if server 1 fails I would power on server 2. But the phone would all need to register again, correct? But a feature in a new reales to make this easier would be great, especially as we try to roll this out to mission critical places.

The secondary server will have all of the same information the primary does. Should I use the same IP address? That way if server 1 fails I would power on server 2. But the phone would all need to register again, correct? But a feature in a new reales to make this easier would be great, especially as we try to roll this out to mission critical places.

Regarding the IP address there are esentially two possibilities. The first is to use DNS SRV entries; in this case it is the SIP device's job to locate the secondary server. The second is to give the new server the same IP address; this avoids the requirement for DNS SRV. However it has the problem that this setup can easily result in an IP address conflict - espcially when the primary server restarts and the old IP address is still active (which is very probable in the case of a sudden shutdown).