Global Trunk

pbxuser911

We have multipel domains, and for every domain i built the same set of trunks,

how exactly does the GLOBAL thingy work? can i build the 5 trunks were using and let all domains use it? what problems am i running into? and what do i need to avoid? and better yet, how do i go about setting it up?

we use approx 5 trunks for outgoing, and 1 for incoming traffic

thanks

We have multipel domains, and for every domain i built the same set of trunks,

how exactly does the GLOBAL thingy work? can i build the 5 trunks were using and let all domains use it? what problems am i running into? and what do i need to avoid? and better yet, how do i go about setting it up?

we use approx 5 trunks for outgoing, and 1 for incoming traffic

There are several ways to do it.

1. You can just have one global trunk for all domains and share it amongst the different domains. For this, you would typically create the domain "localhost" with that trunk in it and customer domains with their respective DNS names. Inbound traffic will be routed based on the DID number and sent to the right domain. If you select the country code (e.g. "1") then the PBX will make sure that the 10 or 11-digit represenation is not a problem. All domains can see this trunk in their dial plan; however are not able to change it.

2. If you want that each domain may have their own trunk, then you should try to use a registration trunk. The service provider must fully support RFC3261-URI, especially including parameters like the "line" parameter, so that the PBX can match inbound traffic easily and safely to this trunk. This approach has the benefit, that the customers can use the CO-line features of the trunk.

You may also mix choice 1 and choice 2. For example, for inbound traffic you can use 1. and for outbound traffic 2. If you have only outbound traffic on a trunk, then make sure that you tell the PBX so in the trunk direction dropdown.

Number 1 will make your life a lot easier if you are using a regular PSTN gateway with just one IP address. For those kind of setup's it is otherwise quiet difficult for the PBX to detect where the call should actually go to.

Number 2 can also be done with gateway trunks, but then the trunk matching will become tricky. In this case you have to be strict on the DID number definition.