Voip, Voip and PSTN routing

Rob Lloyd

I have a client with 1 voip trunk, (2) cable voip lines on a Patton SN4114 ports 1&2, (2) analog PSTN lines on ports 3&4. They only use the analog lines for incoming and DR of the voip trunk(s) - no outbound calls unless everything else goes down.

Ideally they would like calls to go out the cable voip lines first, then if those are filled use the voip trunk. If that is down then go back to the patton and use the pstn lines.

Is this possible using the same patton gateway? I currently have a hunt group setup to use just ports 1&2 for outbound. Incoming on all 4 ports works just fine.

Thanks,

Rob Lloyd

I have a client with 1 voip trunk, (2) cable voip lines on a Patton SN4114 ports 1&2, (2) analog PSTN lines on ports 3&4. They only use the analog lines for incoming and DR of the voip trunk(s) - no outbound calls unless everything else goes down.

Ideally they would like calls to go out the cable voip lines first, then if those are filled use the voip trunk. If that is down then go back to the patton and use the pstn lines.

Is this possible using the same patton gateway? I currently have a hunt group setup to use just ports 1&2 for outbound. Incoming on all 4 ports works just fine.

You could use the failover feature of the trunk to let the PBX try one trunk first and then move down the dial plan on another trunk if the first trunk fails. Having only a certain number of CO-lines will also help to limit the number of calls on a trunk; you might not need it if the gateway sends a 5xx code when all lines are in use already.

That's the idea but I'm not sure to pass the info back to the patton device to use the PSTN lines. If it was a seperate box, that would be easy. I need a way to tell the pbx to have it go to a different hunt group.

Can you do sub-interfaces on the patton? Hunt group 1 goes to an ip of 4.2 and hunt group 2 has an ip of 4.3. Then I could create 2 trunks in pbx to seperate IPs.

I have a support request in with Patton, but since they aren't familiar with PBXnSIP I was hoping someone here may have done something like this.