Feature Request - Park Accounts

jlumby

After other posts about the ability to use CO lines in a multi domain mode with a shared trunk not being successfully answered, I got to think bout what could be the simplest ways to pickup a call that is on hold (technically in my senario, it would be parked), that unlike buttons is completely sip compliant, and there would be no need to remember star codes. The simple thing that popped in my mind would be to create a different type of account that is actually a park orbit. As opposed to a standard extension, you could set it up so if a call was transfered to the park zone number, it would park it in that zone. If a call was parked there, it would light the BLF of any extension monitoring it, and if it was dialed, it would retrieve the call from the zone. This would solve other manufacturers problems since no one other than snom can do "buttons" The final outcome for the user is that any call that is parked there looks like, and can be picked up just like a call on an old key system, and it is fully SIP compliant.

After other posts about the ability to use CO lines in a multi domain mode with a shared trunk not being successfully answered, I got to think bout what could be the simplest ways to pickup a call that is on hold (technically in my senario, it would be parked), that unlike buttons is completely sip compliant, and there would be no need to remember star codes. The simple thing that popped in my mind would be to create a different type of account that is actually a park orbit. As opposed to a standard extension, you could set it up so if a call was transfered to the park zone number, it would park it in that zone. If a call was parked there, it would light the BLF of any extension monitoring it, and if it was dialed, it would retrieve the call from the zone. This would solve other manufacturers problems since no one other than snom can do "buttons" The final outcome for the user is that any call that is parked there looks like, and can be picked up just like a call on an old key system, and it is fully SIP compliant.

Well, we had the discussion about the park accounts and in the early versions we even had park accounts. The way it is now is that every extension has a park orbit associated with the orbit. We did a little fine tuning and now the mailbox has a setting that tells the PBX it should really prefer the park functionality.

On the Cisco phones we were able to program a button to act as park/pickup button, where you have to enter the park orbit via DTMF. That seems to be a usable solution, without having to use star codes. The button is essentially a speed dial and that should also work with other phone types.

I agree. People coming from traditional phone systems just don't understand what we mean by "hold" and "park". On the traditional PBX, they always parked the call. Having more than one call on an extension was simply not possible (only one cable). This is coming back with more and more cell phones being used as PBX extension. Lets see where this leads us...

I noticed the fine tuning where you can have the mailbox act as a park orbit, however the devil is really in the details.

You cannot transfer into the orbit without a star code

dialing the orbit number will not pick up the call

On the up side, the BLF does light when there is a call parked there.

So it is not nearly as fully fine tuned, and polished as a dedicated park orbit could be