Dialing Extensions

sinzz

I have setup my phones with 4 digit extension but i need to know what dial plan do i need to use so that as soon as i press the digits , the phone starts dialing,

eg as soon as i dial ext 2003 the phone should dial 2003 rather than wiating till i press the dial button.

is there a way to do it?

i am very new to pbxnsip setup, your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have setup my phones with 4 digit extension but i need to know what dial plan do i need to use so that as soon as i press the digits , the phone starts dialing, eg as soon as i dial ext 2003 the phone should dial 2003 rather than wiating till i press the dial button. is there a way to do it?

There are several dial plans in a system. The phone has one and the PBX has another one. Obviously, the phone dial plan depends on the model. The PBX supports the automatic provisioning for dial plans; this is a setting in the domain. However, only a few phones are provisioned with that.

IMHO it is easy and okay to tell users that they have to press the dial button on the phone. Everyone knows it from the cell phone today and seem to be able to get over it. It also has the advantage that users don't have to use those stupid prefixes like "9" to make an outbound call. A usable dial plan for the phone is only possible in the USA (NANPA) and only if you don't intend to make an international call. Otherwise you have to work with timeouts (another difficult and unpredictable topic) or ask users to hit the enter button after entering the number.

The same discussion existed in the SIP world outside of the NANPA area (so called "rest of the world", where the other 95 % of people are staying). ISDN offers "overlap dialling", where the network tells the phone when the number is complete. To cut the long story short: That feature did not make it into SIP; this feature ends on the PSTN gateway.

The dial plan on the PBX is only used for trunks. If you want to call an extension, you don't need to put that into the dial plan.

If you have only one trunk, then the dial plan can be very very simple. Just put a "*" into the pattern and select the trunk. That's it! The default configuration already has it.