G729a on pbxnsip

Parks

Just trying to see how G729a is working on other companies multi tenant deployments. We would like to put some customers trunks to use it primarily. Any feedback would be really helpful, thank.

IMHO the biggest problem with G.729 is that the audio is compressed so much that customers have the impression that VoIP is inferior to PSTN.

Every transcoding step reduces the amount of information transmitted.

IMHO the biggest problem with G.729 is that the audio is compressed so much that customers have the impression that VoIP is inferior to PSTN.

Every transcoding step reduces the amount of information transmitted.

I understand that the audio is compressed and therefore the quality is less. However our customers on our SIP trunking service love it and cannot tell the difference. Most cannot tell the difference in quality especially because so many people use cell phones these days.

If every time it gets transcoded it reduces the quality then it really is only get transcoded twice once on the carrier side then on the customers side. Am I looking at that right?

If every time it gets transcoded it reduces the quality then it really is only get transcoded twice once on the carrier side then on the customers side. Am I looking at that right?

Yes, the transcoding chain looks like this: IP phone (microphone) -> G.729 -> PSTN (G.711) -> GSM EFR -> Cell phone speaker. So lets say the quality was 100 % in the beginning, then the whole chain might look like this: 80 % (microphone is also "transcoding") * 75 % (G.729) * 90 % (G.711) * 70 % (GSM) * 70 % (speaker, optimistic) = 26 % left. "Illustrative", but it should be possible to get the picture why every transcoding step is a problem.

I had a phone call once that must have three or four transcoding steps, and smoke signs would have been easier to understand.