Placing call on hold and I get dial tone

Tom Waterman

tom,

you sure it's picking up another line? Our 360's sound like a dial tone but it doesn't actually. I'll admit i like dead air instead of the misleading tone...

(but i haven't taken time to fix it...)

matt

Yeah I just tried it. It sounds like dial tone and if you start to dial a number it will go through. It is no big deal. I just want to be able to tell the customer what the expected behaviour is.

This is an option on the Snom phones. There is a setting called "Dial tone during hold" under advanced-->audio that is used to disable the dial tone or set cw_dialtone to off in one of the snom_xxx_custom.xml config files to change it globally.

I found the setting but I am having trouble with the custome xml file. Here is what my file says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<settings>

<phone-settings e="2">

<cw_dialtone perm="">off</cw_dialtone>

</phone-settings>

</settings>

file name is snom_360_custom.xml

and I have it in my HTML directory. What am I doing wrong?

Tom

May be the phone is not requesting this file. Please check the files under 'generated' directory for that extension (if you are doing plug and play). Then check the snom_360.htm/xml file to see it has a line for snom_360_custom.xml

(something like <file url="https://192.168.1.109:443/tftp/snom_360_custom.xml" />

I found the setting but I am having trouble with the custome xml file. Here is what my file says:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<settings>

<phone-settings e="2">

<cw_dialtone perm="">off</cw_dialtone>

</phone-settings>

</settings>

file name is snom_360_custom.xml

and I have it in my HTML directory. What am I doing wrong?

Tom

I just went through this. Get this: you have to CREATE a folder on the root. Why this is the case is a mystery and getting a clear answer on how PnP works is like pulling teeth it seems with random one sentence answers from multiple people using the same account.

The jist is that the system dynamically answers PnP requests by creating answer files on the fly. If you have settings you want to change, you can create an answer file that overrides portions of the system generated one. Be careful and test, but it does work rather well once you get it down.

Step One:

Log in to a snom phone and configure it the way you want. From ring tone to LDAP info, put it all in and test the phone until its behavior is perfect.

Step Two:

Save the complete xml file off the phone onto your computer. (You have choices to save only changed values - but that didn't get everything in my experience)

Step Three:

Edit the xml file using a text editor and REMOVE all phone specific data like the network settings, line settings, dial plan, etc. These will still be created on the fly and if you leave them in you'll have 50 phones registering to the same account. Just jump in using any text editor.

Be sure and set

<settings_refresh_timer perm="">3600</settings_refresh_timer>

as by default the phones never check for setting updates. This will ensure they check in.

Note that you can set phone passwords in this file too. A trade off as you are exposing the passwords to anyone who would look at the answer file but easier than screwing around with PBXnSIP's HTML interface for each account. If you're behind NAT and not exposed to the internet, think about it.

Step Four

On your PBXnSIP box, in the 'pbx' directory CREATE a folder called 'html' and in that folder CREATE another folder called 'tftp' - so you get pbx\html\tftp

Step Five

Take your modified snom xml file and name it snom_360_custom.xml - It's the same process for the 300, 370, etc.

Step Six

Put the above file in the tftp directory you created. NOT the other tftp directory that already exists.

Step Seven

Power cycle another snom 360 and see if it picks up the settings. If it does, congrats! Now power cycle all your phones or your poe switch and they will all get them. If you don't do this step, the other phones won't get the new settings as the refresh timers are off.

Make sense?