Audio clipping

Tom Waterman

Hello all this is a relatively new problem we have experienced. I am getting small portions of audio clipping or a toal loss of audio (2 to 3 secopnds) in one way. I have done days of research on this issue. We are running G.711U I have a dedicated 3 meg pipe on the outside for the pbx. The inside interface on the pbx is on the dmz and all of the phones connecte to the dmz switch. So from the PBX to the phones it is 100meg switched network on its own vlan. I have wireshark running on both interfaces and I can see in the audio stream that the issue is occuring from the pbx to my phone! I have a hard time understanding why but it is. The streams in and out of the pbx to the provider(callcentric) appear to be fine. Does anyone have any idea where I can start to chase this? I have noticed that it does not seem to matter if the pbx is under heavy load or not it seems to be a random issue. Any advice would be helpful.

Tom

You can use this as a checklist: http://kiwi.pbxnsip.com/index.php/One-way_Audio. For example, we had a similar case where the problem was a IP address conflict.

I have tried all of those recommendations already. :-) One thing that I am currently looking into in the speaker phone on the Snome phone. It appears that all reports of clipping audio appear to be on calls in which the speaker phone is being used. It is not an issue of one way audio per se because it just drops for a second or 2 in the middle of a 60 minute conversation or words will break up for 4-5 seconds and then it is fine. Any idea of changes that could be made on the speaker phone?

Tom

I have tried all of those recommendations already. :-) One thing that I am currently looking into in the speaker phone on the Snome phone. It appears that all reports of clipping audio appear to be on calls in which the speaker phone is being used. It is not an issue of one way audio per se because it just drops for a second or 2 in the middle of a 60 minute conversation or words will break up for 4-5 seconds and then it is fine. Any idea of changes that could be made on the speaker phone?

Well at least this one is easy to nail down. Those guys who report about clipping should pay attention to the handsfree and handset mode and then you will soon know if that was the problem... Never stop learning.