Installation on Ubuntu or Debian 64 bit

lerman

IMHO the CentOS 64 should work. Maybe we should set up a VM for ubuntu64 as well and include it in the list of builds that we provide.

No. I tried it. It doesn't install because of differences in /etc/init.d vs /etc/rc.d/init.d

and other similar stuff

/etc/init.d/snomONE: line 8: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

Stopping : /etc/init.d/snomONE: line 37: killproc: command not found

./postinst.sh: line 34: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory

/etc/init.d/snomONE: line 8: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

Starting snomONE-ctrl: /etc/init.d/snomONE: line 25: daemon: command not found

Hmm. What if you just take the binary from the 64-bit CentoS and the installation stuff from Debian? Just guessing here (not a big Linux guru).

To do that, I'd have to extract all of the files from the .deb without running the installation. That could probably be done. The do the same with the centos file. Finally, I'd have to run the separate parts.

I think that is more work than I'd like to do. That's particularly true since a major attraction of snom One is that it is "commercial". Every time a fix was released for snom One, I would have to repeat the process. That would not be fun.

Regards,

Ken

Yea I agree. I think the only way is to start offering 64-bit build fpr other platforms than CentOS. The problem is that there are so many Linux versions out there, it is really not fur to stay up with the latest and build something for them. Anyway, I guess we need to run another VM to make this happen.

Yea I agree. I think the only way is to start offering 64-bit build fpr other platforms than CentOS. The problem is that there are so many Linux versions out there, it is really not fur to stay up with the latest and build something for them. Anyway, I guess we need to run another VM to make this happen.

I would suggest offering 64 bit versions for every platform that you offer 32 bit. I'll be running this on an Intel mini-itx board that cost about $65. The whole box was less than $200 with a 150gig hard drive (which I probably don't need), and 2 gigs of memory, a power supply and case. A big attraction is that it didn't need a fan. I didn't need a 64 bit processor, but that seems to be what is offered these days (and dual core also).

The hard choice is which OS to support. I tend to use Ubuntu, but Debian seems to be equivalent and installs on Ubuntu (if I understand things correctly).

Ken

To do that, I'd have to extract all of the files from the .deb without running the installation. That could probably be done. The do the same with the centos file. Finally, I'd have to run the separate parts.

I think that is more work than I'd like to do. That's particularly true since a major attraction of snom One is that it is "commercial". Every time a fix was released for snom One, I would have to repeat the process. That would not be fun.

Regards,

Ken

Well, I did it. Unfortunately, I don't have the details handy. It's something like this:

1 -- Extract the deb package into a temporary directory tree (using dpkg-util -- or something with a similar name)

2 -- Do the same sort of thing with the centos .bin package.

3 -- Move the big executable file from the centos tree to the deb tree. Remove the old executable and fix the symbolic link in the tree to point to the new file.

4 -- Modify the control file so that the arch line says amd64 instead of i386.

5 -- Repackage the deb tree using the appropriate command.

Now its all set to go. Just install the deb package.

A -- It seems to be running OK.

B -- Now I have to learn how to configure it.

I suppose if I have the energy, I should just write a script to do all of the above. (But then someone will probably change the name of one of the internal files and I'll have to play catch up.)

Ken