Server Memory Ramp

Krom

We have several 2.0.3.1715 (Win32) installs up and running great!!

We took great effort in building each of the 2003 servers as clones down to the same patch level and haven't patched since the build.

We have one that is showing a strange pattern of RAM ramp over short a period of days and have checked and double-checked what is different from this server over the others that we built the same. No silver bullet.

The PBXnSIP application starts up and maps around 17.5% of 2GIGs of RAM. Then over a period of 48 hours it slowly creeps to 60%. Then I restart the service and it starts back at 17.5%. The graph of the memory utilization looks like the blade of a saw. I let it get to 60-70% system memory utilization and then restart the application before the end users are impacted.

I copied over the ctrl.exe from a clean running server thinking that maybe something got corrupted, but the same result. Is there any DLL's or library files that the ctrl.exe pulls in that might have been or gotten corrupted that I can replace from the clean running servers to see if it solves the problem?

Logs look clean - nothing but normal REGISTERs and INVITEs.

Thanks for any suggestions or direction - besides upgrade. Haven't finished test 2.1.

Krom

The status screen should provide more information where to search. BTW the Wiki page has just been updated: http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/System_Status

Thanks but as I stated - this is not 2.1 and the issue I am trying to isolate is why the PBXnSIP application keeps consuming more system RAM. The media CPU never gets above 15%, but the Windows 2003 server stats shows the PBXnSIP application consuming more and more memory. It leans towards a memory leak, but I swapped the ctrl.exe with a ctrl.exe from a server that doesn't show this issue. But the issue remains. I was hoping for suggestions of other files to swap - dll, etc.. That might assist me in stopping the consumption of memory by PBXnSIP.

Krom

We had a issie with a customer that was keeping a lot of CDR records (talking about 100,000 entries!), that was a major problem. Also there were some versions before 2.1 and after 2.0.3 that were eating with every registration (some internal structure getting out of control), hopefully you are not running such a build. There was also a problem when provisioning the Polycom 17 MB firmware files - the PBX was loading those files into memory using malloc(). But that should be fixed as well.

I believe that I may have found the reason for the memory creep but can't determine the why.

What has been observed is that after each UA sends a REGISTER within a particular domain, PBXnSIP sends a SUSBSCRIBE and the UA responds with a 481 message.

What I can't determine is why PBXnSIP is sending a SUBSCRIBE to the UA when the UA has sent a REGISTER without SUBSCRIBE in the Allow header field.

Allow: ACK, BYE, CANCEL, INFO, INVITE, NOTIFY, OPTIONS, PRACK, REFER, REGISTER

The domain on this server has over 145 UA's that do not support SUBSCRIBE and does not inform PBXnSIP that it does, but still PBXnSIP is transmitting SUBSCRIBE messages to each of the 145 post REGISTER, to which each UA returns with a 481.

Could this be a cause of the memory creep? A possible exception handling issue when receiving 481's?

As I stated in the start of this thread - none of the other servers are experiencing this memory creep and it just so happens, none of them have UA's that don't support the SUBSCRIBE method.

Haben Sie einen gro?en Tag

The purpose of that SUBSCRIBE was to get information about the hook state of the phone. This should be obsolete in the latest and the greatest version (2.1.2), so in theory if that was the problem that problem should disappear by itself...

Any chance to get a core dump? By looking at the raw memory it should be possible to see what is occupying the memory...