Caller ID

clwinters

I'm having issues getting the caller ID of the inbound call display once forwarded to a cell phone. I have read that RFC3325 (P-Asserted Identity) under "Remote Party/Privacy Indication" in the trunk settings is how this is done...? But when I have this setting on the trunk, I can receive inbound calls but outbound calls fail. The only way I can get the trunk to make outbound calls is to set the trunk in the "Remote Party/Privacy Indication" setting is "No Indication", "Remote-Party-ID" or "RFC3325 (Custom)".

I also read that maybe I need to add "header" info in the SIP address to make this work. If that is the case, I'm lost on what needs to be done.

Anyone else know where to go from here?

Unfortunately, the caller-ID representation is a mess in the SIP trunking world. There are at least as many ways to deal with the topic as there are service providers, it seems. Most service providers assume that you are using a softphone, and the caller-ID representation has no high priority there.

One of the core problems is that for calls that are redirected from the PBX to the provider, that provider cannot be sure if the PBX is malware and wants to present a fake caller-ID. We proposed the use of the "Related-Caller-ID" header a few years ago, but it seems that this is not well-supported by the providers either.