Name Server Problems

mashleyhacker

I've spent the last day trying to configure the trunks on my new SnomOne SOHO. This morning I tried using the IP address instead of the FQDN and now everything works.

Checking through the logs it seems the Snom was looking for the DNS at 127.0.0.1 (ie on the local device). There doesn't appear to be a way to force a change of name server.

In short - everything is OK IF I use the IP address (BTW I've checked with 3 different VOIP providers) - but this isn't a proper fix as I don't know how often the IP address is likely to change.

Also - as a consequence of the above I can't update the software using the autolink as the web address is not recognised by the Name Server.

Help appreciated.

I agree this is a stupidity that we have on the SoHo devices. The next generation will just use the DNS server that is provisioned by DHCP or statically.

The PBX ready the /etc/resolv.conf file. Quick & dirty workaround is to edit the file, and then make it read-only so that other processes cannot overwrite it. If you want to do it properly, you need to drop dnsmasq (using aptitude), but once you get into that path, you'll probably have to update a lot of packages. We did that now for the next generation, so we know what we are talking about :-( so maybe you just do the quick & dirty workaround.

I agree this is a stupidity that we have on the SoHo devices. The next generation will just use the DNS server that is provisioned by DHCP or statically.

The PBX ready the /etc/resolv.conf file. Quick & dirty workaround is to edit the file, and then make it read-only so that other processes cannot overwrite it. If you want to do it properly, you need to drop dnsmasq (using aptitude), but once you get into that path, you'll probably have to update a lot of packages. We did that now for the next generation, so we know what we are talking about :-( so maybe you just do the quick & dirty workaround.

Many thanks - I thought it was me! I've tried to SSH into the SNOM One SOHO but the default username/pw I have seen elsewhere on the Forum don't seem to work. Any pointers.

Again - thanks for taking the time to respond.

Many thanks - I thought it was me! I've tried to SSH into the SNOM One SOHO but the default username/pw I have seen elsewhere on the Forum don't seem to work. Any pointers.

The later executables (4.5 and higher) update the Linux root password when you set the PBX admin password from the web interface (regardless of what your admin username is). Before that, the default password for root is "nosoup4u".