Ciso Switch, SnomONE, Snom 821

This is my problem;

I have currently a working SnomONE, with 4 Snom 8XX phones, and a couple of Patton gateways. The network runs over a Cisco SG200-26P PoE so I get power to the phones. I have two routers, a Draytek and an ADSL from Spitfire for the SIP trunks. The quality of call depends on what amount of traffic is on the network and if people are using the internet.

I ordered the Spitfire ADSL to solve the issue, but for the life of me can't get it to work.

Has anybody set up a small voip system with a cisco switch and could you point me in the right direction.

Currently I have the Draytek as the DHCP server on 192.168.20.0

The Spitfire is using 10.0.0.0 and should be routing the voip traffic, its not. Spitfire support suggest plugging the phone into the back of their router...... But that can't be right.

I know it's something to do with VLAN's and the like but don't know how to set it all up.

I guess I should have all the data traffic on 192.168.20.x and voip on 10.0.0.x

If you can help or point me in the right direction I would be grateful

If you have problems with the quality, most likely you simply don't have enough bandwidth. Keep in mind that there is upstream bandwidth and downstream bandwidth. While the upstream can be relatively easily be controlled by you and you equipment, the downstream can only be controlled indirectly by you (AKA traffic shaping). If you hear packet drops, it is most likely the downstream. Some people just get a 2nd DLS line to deal with the problem and use the 2nd line exclusively for VoIP traffic.

If you have problems with the quality, most likely you simply don't have enough bandwidth. Keep in mind that there is upstream bandwidth and downstream bandwidth. While the upstream can be relatively easily be controlled by you and you equipment, the downstream can only be controlled indirectly by you (AKA traffic shaping). If you hear packet drops, it is most likely the downstream. Some people just get a 2nd DLS line to deal with the problem and use the 2nd line exclusively for VoIP traffic.

Thanks, thats what I have, one ADSL for data and the other for VOIP.

But not sure best way to set up. How can I tell if I have any traffic on the VOIP ADSL?

But not sure best way to set up. How can I tell if I have any traffic on the VOIP ADSL?

Okay. If you run wireshark on the PBX, you should see that the PBX is using the IP address that was assigned to the VoIP DSL line. It is easy to mix that up with the address of the other line, escpecially if you want other traffic like HTTP to run through your "data" DSL line. Actually it is quite difficult to really seperate both on the PBX host, so I would tolerate some non-RTP and non-SIP data that goes to the PBX (like HTTP and TFTP for configuration) also to go through the VoIP DSL line. So in other words, the PBX host should have only the public IP of the VoIP DSL line, and not the one from the data DSL line.

Guest kevin

Are you familiar with wireshark? That is the best way to see what is going in the network. The trick is that in order for you to seen non broadcast traffic on the pc running wireshark your switch has to support port mirroring or you have to find an old hub and plug your machine into that with the voip router to analyze what is going on.