Extension Pictures

metwest

I am deploying 8 Snom Ones over 8 sites linked on VPN using gateways with a total of 52 870 handsets plus 10 vision consoles across all sites.

Staff pictures to come up on all handsets is a must! Obviously staff pictures is not an issue at each site but inter-site dialling becomes a problem as pictures are not sent in sip info across gateways.

Need some advice on an easier way to assign pictures than having to load pictures into all handsets. This would be a headache not only to begin with but also with any staff changes.

Is there an easy way to do staff pictures ? Maybe using LDAP?

Can a LDAP server be run remotely?

If so this will be my first time using LDAP. From what I can see there is a jpeg attribute on the windows LDAP server we are looking at. Will the Snom see this and add the picture in the server?

Any advice is appreciated.

The first thing about pictures is that they should be "thumbnail size", meaning their resolution should be around 100 x 150 pixel. Unfortunately, if you take pictures with modern cell phones, they are huge and not being displayed on the phones (http://wiki.snom.com...:Caller_Picture).

In the UCClient we have added a nice drag & drop feature that does all the magic for you; however installing the UCClient for every extension is an exercise that I would not recommend right now.

The LDAP on the PBX does not deal with images.

So my suggestion would be to take a photo edit program of your choice, and manually process those pictures. Then you can upload them from the domain admin mode into the accounts. Sorry for the inconvenience, but that is probably the easiest way to go.

Edit: P.S. why don't you just use one snom ONE then? For this installation size it should be no problem and you are already using VPN.

The first thing about pictures is that they should be "thumbnail size", meaning their resolution should be around 100 x 150 pixel. Unfortunately, if you take pictures with modern cell phones, they are huge and not being displayed on the phones (http://wiki.snom.com...:Caller_Picture).

In the UCClient we have added a nice drag & drop feature that does all the magic for you; however installing the UCClient for every extension is an exercise that I would not recommend right now.

The LDAP on the PBX does not deal with images.

So my suggestion would be to take a photo edit program of your choice, and manually process those pictures. Then you can upload them from the domain admin mode into the accounts. Sorry for the inconvenience, but that is probably the easiest way to go.

Edit: P.S. why don't you just use one snom ONE then? For this installation size it should be no problem and you are already using VPN.

Thanks for the info. Problem is pictures do not travel between systems so I would need to upload them in each handsets address book... all 52... =(

I would love to do a single snom one, then the above would not be as big a problem. Unfortunately this customer did not like the idea that if the main office goes down all branches are of the air. So this was my only solution.

A great feature would be if Snom One in the future considered a another gateway option called "Snom Link". This option would be for just for linking Snom One systems together.

All sites have a Snom system with fallback to other sites in event of a failure + a little more smarts between sites(like pictures) All as if they were one big system.

So you program all the systems the same (program one and it loads it into the others would be even better =) ) all on the same license and if one site fails the other sites continue functioning. =)

• 1 month later...