Using 1 2 and 3 for direct dial and using 3 digit extension

andrewgroup

Customers like using Press 1 for this, Press 2 for that, and 3 this something else. They also like having extension like 101, 201, 301v etc...

what must be done in the auto attendent to allow this so that when the person calling presses the first digit in a valid extension it doesn't automatically send that caller to the quick access dial in the AA?

Some sort of delay is necessary to prevent the automatic redirect to an extension.

Customers like using Press 1 for this, Press 2 for that, and 3 this something else. They also like having extension like 101, 201, 301v etc...

what must be done in the auto attendent to allow this so that when the person calling presses the first digit in a valid extension it doesn't automatically send that caller to the quick access dial in the AA?

Some sort of delay is necessary to prevent the automatic redirect to an extension.

Supposedly using the # sign after the Direct Dial extension alleviates this - but I've had problems - especially when the direct dial extension goes to another AA.

Supposedly using the # sign after the Direct Dial extension alleviates this - but I've had problems - especially when the direct dial extension goes to another AA.

The AA greeting is Press 1 for sales, 2 for Support

direct destination settings are

1 sends to a hunt group with three extensions

2 sends to the sales persons extension in this case 201

placing a #after the 201 entry on the direct destination options results in the caller getting, "I'm sorry you are not allowed to place this call" message

placing a # in the direct destination field after the 2 results in "This extension number does not exist" message

The AA greeting is Press 1 for sales, 2 for Support

direct destination settings are

1 sends to a hunt group with three extensions

2 sends to the sales persons extension in this case 201

placing a #after the 201 entry on the direct destination options results in the caller getting, "I'm sorry you are not allowed to place this call" message

placing a # in the direct destination field after the 2 results in "This extension number does not exist" message

It should say 1# and 2# - not the destination field. The # makes the pbx wait 3 seconds.

Call me crazy, but is the attached image as you would expect it to be?

Also using 2.1.6.2442 (Win32)

I would say unless there are white spaces in either field - or that the extensions don't exist - but I have to assume they do because you are obviously well-versed in pbxnsip... that it should work the way it's laid out.

I would say unless there are white spaces in either field - or that the extensions don't exist - but I have to assume they do because you are obviously well-versed in pbxnsip... that it should work the way it's laid out.

Well, I deleted and retyped each entry hoping to find a whitespace, but to no avail the problem occurs...

The log file for media just when the user presses the 2 in an attempt to dial 201 is as follows.

9] 2008/02/11 13:59:05: DTMF: Power: 97 6 0 0 0 2 99 1 0

[9] 2008/02/11 13:59:05: DTMF: Power: 100 6 2 0 2 3 100 0 0

[6] 2008/02/11 13:59:05: Received DTMF 2

[8] 2008/02/11 13:59:05: Play audio_en/aa_not_existing.wav space20

I've come across this problem.. and I ended up doing it all in IVR nodes as it was easier, as you can do a string like this :

!^0$!8240! !^9$!400! !^(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)$!\1\2\3! !E!401!

Which matches zero and goes to 8240 (direct voicemail dial for 240).

9 which goes to 400 (dial by name auto attendant).

Then any 3 digit extension number, which dials said number.

Then if nothing is dialled, it calls the IVR node again to repeat the message.

!^0$!8240! !^9$!400! !^(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)$!\1\2\3! !E!401!

Not well versed in IVR nodes, short of getting a real fix to the fundemental problem, doing something like this may be to best route, but how does the IVR note know when to stop reading digits.

Press 1 for sales

Press 2 for Support

Press 3 for Accounting

and all of the extensions are 2xx through 2yy

You'd basically setup 3 hunt groups, say 101 for sales, 102 for support, 103 for accounting, then have something like this :

!^1$!101! !^2$!102! !^3$!103! !^(2)(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)(1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0)$!\1\2\3!

The wiki on the IVR nodes is pretty good, but basically you have pairs of strings to match and numbers to dial, separated by ! marks. The ^ and $ mark the start and end of strings to match.

So for the first one : !^1$!101!

It strips the ! marks and separates them out to

string to match : ^1$

number to dial : 101

String to match is therefore "start of string" 1 "end of string" - so the number one by itself.

I'm not sure what the timeout pbxnsip has for determining if you've finished entering the digits, but it seems to work ok for the installations we've done this for. This, combined with the new "start" action for the auto attendant means you can build your own menus, get the customer to record them exactly how they want and direct the calls accordingly.

Hope that helps.

PS - I'm sure the pattern matching for the 3 digit extensions can be condensed down - I've just never managed to get it to work!