*star code combo for attended transfer - is it possible ? or do is a star code for attended transfers necessary?

Lyle Chritton

Interesting thought. How would the sequence look like? Receive a call from A; hold the call (e.g. with flash hook). Then call B, hold that call as well. Then call *xxx?

We have something similar for the establishment of a conference call; but it did not occur to use yet that we could use that also for a attended transfer. The workaround would be to have a conference call for a second or two, then disconnect from the conference and let the other two parties continue the call.

Interesting thought. How would the sequence look like? Receive a call from A; hold the call (e.g. with flash hook). Then call B, hold that call as well. Then call *xxx?

We have something similar for the establishment of a conference call; but it did not occur to use yet that we could use that also for a attended transfer. The workaround would be to have a conference call for a second or two, then disconnect from the conference and let the other two parties continue the call.

how exactly does the "We have something similar for the establishment of a conference call" work ? That needs more explaination.

First of all, as far as I know, there is no hookflash symbol code available for use with star codes.

In fact, there is no real description anywhere for DTMF codes for (Wait,Pause, Hookflash etc)

But if there were a symbol code for hookflash, say R, you could, during a call do some interesting things. But hookflash would only work if you're still in the same call that you activated the hookflash. What happens if you hookflash call A, so you're now in the dial tone for Call B ( with call A on hold) and you dial a number in call B and after talking to callee B, call B hangs up. What happens with call A - does it ring back to you ?

And rather than having to create a park orbit for every extension, which just may be necessary as an alternative plan to make this work ...

We still need to know how does the "We have something similar for the establishment of a conference call" work ?

Well on many ATA the hook flash holds the call. If you have a SIP phone, you would of course press the hold button. But on such phones, you usually also have an attended transfer programmed, so that you don't have to use star codes for the transfer.

All I am using is a softphone - no hookflash button, no physical phone to hang up and then pick up again. How would you do an attended transfer with * codes ? (We've established how to do a blind transfer with *77). I can see how a conference call applies towards an attended transfer - how would you do it ? I can see how to put aside a call with Call Park and Call Retrieve, I don't see how you would do a conference call.

First off, what's the answer to: " We still need to know how does the "We have something similar for the establishment of a conference call" work ? " and how would that work with star codes ?

We have been trying a lot of softphones - Ekiga, Bria 3. Bria 4, Zoiper,. Most are not fully compatible or not bug-free with the Vodia PBX in some way or another. We have issues with BLF, echo, call quality, call presentation and codec issues, and even calls that don't hang up properly at the far end. I have to go into the PBX and manually kill each call (and even sometimes the PBX won't let me kill the call, and I have to reboot the PBX.

The softphone technical support ... isn't up to snuff.

Having the ability to hookflash star codes (ie work directly with the PBX) helps troubleshoot whether the issue is with the softphone or the PBX.

The ability to work with the phone calls directly with the PBX using star codes, rather than through the phone's 'buttons' (which are already programmed and can only be changed by the softphone manufacturer) is crucial for troubleshooting and streamling call flow.

So back to my original topic: What is the star code combo to perform an attended transfer ?