OCS Enterprise Voice + PBX integration

acid

Hi guys,

I'm looking for any information regarding PBX integration mode of OCS2007. Seems not much out there...

However, as far as I understand in this mode IP-PBX extension is basically replicating OCS extension.

Does it mean OCS (not OC) should register its extension on IP-PBX, perhaps through Mediation?

I wasn't able to make OCS to send a single register message out.

Cheers.

Unfortunately, OCS does not support the standard SIP authentication scheme (which is Digest). They only support NTLM and Kerberos. Microsoft recently published the specification for NTLM, so that technically we would be able to register there. However, we still need to program it... That will defintevely not be in version 2.1 of the PBX.

The workaround today is to use the mediation server.

Maybe Microsoft can come up with a service pack which adds Digest authentication. A lot of SIP-compliant vendors would appreciate it.

Does it mean pbxnsip is able to register on OCS through Mediation Server, or does it mean OCS is registering its extension on pbxnsip through Mediation Server? In which mode this registration can happen, in Enterprise Voice or Enterprise Voice with PBX integration?

The mediation server is like a PSTN gateway. That means the PBX does not register there, the trust is based on IP addresses (which is not very safe compared to Digest). It is a little bit "workaround", but people were able to get it working that way. Of course, registering natively is much easier. That is why we are working on it....

I know that Mediation Server is acting like transcoding gateway. What I am trying to understand is whether right now OCS is registering its extension on pbxnsip(through Mediation) or pbxnsip is registering on OCS(through Mediation Server). Who's registrar in this case?

• 1 month later...
I know that Mediation Server is acting like transcoding gateway. What I am trying to understand is whether right now OCS is registering its extension on pbxnsip(through Mediation) or pbxnsip is registering on OCS(through Mediation Server). Who's registrar in this case?

Hi acid,

in fact there is no registrar. pbxnsip does not really register its extensions to OCS (not via & not on Mediation Server nor @ OCS). OCS also does not register its extensions to pbxnsip. If you read the wiki http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Office_C...ications_Server you will see that the extentsions / phone numbers are maintained similarly in pbxsnip & ocs. There is only a matching of numbers or results of number translation bringing pbxnsip and ocs accounts together.

btw.: this is the case in any pbx - ocs deployment today (cisco call manager, nortel, mitel, audiocodes or dialogic ocs-gateways, etc.)

Please can you explain why the registration / registrar is important for you?

best regards,

Jan

Jan,

Thank for clear answer. I don't really need registration. I was trying to understand underlying mechanism.

In fact I was also trying to understand how to Enterprise voice Integration with "PBX integration" checkbox is working and eventually found out that it wont integrate neither to pbxnsip nor to any other pbx that is not supporting their xml based call controlling api. In your wiki page I see this checkbox also not set.

Regards

Hi acid,

Enterprise Voice with PBX integration is the highest level of connecting your classic or voip pbx and phones with OCS. If deployed and correctly configured it will give the Office Communicator users a new CTI option and a presence information exchange between phone, pbx and OCS.

• 1. Enterprise V. with pbx integr. adds the uaCSTA based (user agent csta or csta via sip) Remote Call Control capabilites to Enterprise Voice enabled Users. When starting a call from OC-Client a new option will show up. The User can decide if he like's to make this call with OC-Client (via mediation server, via voip-pbx, gw, etc.) or if he wants to remote control his desk phone (voip or classic) to make the call. Additionally he can decide which should be his preferred "call-device".

- please note that the Microsoft Phone Experience Device, "Tanjay" can not support RCC! This is by design, cause it is simply a communicator running on windows CE 3.0.

RCC typically needs an additional third party gateway. This will translate uaCSTA to CSTA and vice versa for classic pbx systems which can support CSTA. CSTA can be understand as a TAPI, but it has more capabilities (details available at ECMA), e.g. Presence:

• 2. This gives you the possibility to change the OC-presence state to "in a call" when you are using your voip or classic phone. Or if you set your state to Do Not Disturb in the OC-Client, your Phone will be informed too and will also change to DND. So you do not need to maintain two or more "devices", etc. I guess you can imagine similar advantages this integration causes.

- RCC can also be done stand alone, as it was possible with LCS 2005. The level of information exchange between pbx and OCS depends on how far uaCSTA/CSTA is programmed in the products.

- e.g. Nortel has released the first microsoft certified pbx which supports Enterpr. V. with pbx-integr., but as far as I know (seen live) they do only remote controlling their phones via OC. No presence info exchange etc. - but maybe it will be add later.

What about pbxnsip and uaCSTA - mmmhh. :) :) :) please wait patiently and keep your eyes open B) I do this since Summer 2007 and I am still hopeful. My wishful thinking: if the uacsta xml is in SIP, there should be a way integrating a uaCSTA-service in pbxnsip... really looking forward to it. ^_^

best regards,

Jan