dhcp/tftp prvisioning - general algorithm

Nikolay Kondratyev

Hi all,

we are evaluating pbxnsip, i have 3.1 version on centos with demo licence (calls length is limited by 3 min).

I'm new to pbxnsip but have some experience with sipfoundry ...

My understanding of how dhcp/tftp provisioning works is as following:

A phone gets tftp-server-name via dhcp, and then gets config file from the tftp-server-name tftp server.

But pbx must generate the config file...

First i'd like to try to configure dhcp/tftp autoprovisioning for snom phones, then i'm going to try to autoconfigure grandstream phones...

I tried to follow instructions at http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Automatic_Provisioning (created pnp.xml as in the wiki example) but alas...

I still have nothing to in select accouts->registration->configuration profile... (i expected snom320 and snom360 and polycom there)

And of course no config files are generated...

I also noticed that i have nothing in admin settings->pnp page... just header, comment and save button.

What am i doing wrong? Is there a more detailed description of dhcp/tftp autoprovisioning?

Could it be a problem in 3.1 version or restriction of my demo licence?

Thanks in advance,

Nikolay.

Something sounds wrong with your install the PNP should not be blank.

Thanks for the reply.

I just put the binary into /srv/pbxnsip dirctory, made pbxctrl symlink, and started the service using startup script from the wiki...

Did i miss something?

Has somebody saw the same problem (blank PNP page) in 3.1.0.3043 on centos?

Thanks and regards,

Nikolay.

I just put the binary into /srv/pbxnsip dirctory, made pbxctrl symlink, and started the service using startup script from the wiki...

Did i miss something?

Has somebody saw the same problem (blank PNP page) in 3.1.0.3043 on centos?

If the service is up and running, you are 99 % there. Make sure that you have the audio files in the audio_en, audio_xx (xx = whatever your language is). If you want to have your own "tftp" files, you must create a directory with the name "tftp". It does not only serve the internal tftp server, but also the internal http provisioning server (tftp is where it all started, and the name has not changed since then).

If the service is up and running, you are 99 % there. Make sure that you have the audio files in the audio_en, audio_xx (xx = whatever your language is). If you want to have your own "tftp" files, you must create a directory with the name "tftp". It does not only serve the internal tftp server, but also the internal http provisioning server (tftp is where it all started, and the name has not changed since then).

Thnaks for the reply.

I created tftp directory with the same permissions (1755) as other directories. And restarted pbxnsip service.

But there is no files there...

And admin settings->pnp page is still blank...

Is it possible to make pbxnsip generate config files for phones? As far as i understand wiki automatic_provisioning page - yes.

But how do i tell pbxnsip, that for extension xxx it must generate polycom configuration file, and for extension yyy it must generate snom config file?

And moreover, is it possible to make pbxnsip generate, say, grandstream config file?

If yes, what do i do for that?

Thanks in advance,

Nikolay.

Thnaks for the reply.

I created tftp directory with the same permissions (1755) as other directories. And restarted pbxnsip service.

But there is no files there...

And admin settings->pnp page is still blank...

Is it possible to make pbxnsip generate config files for phones? As far as i understand wiki automatic_provisioning page - yes.

But how do i tell pbxnsip, that for extension xxx it must generate polycom configuration file, and for extension yyy it must generate snom config file?

And moreover, is it possible to make pbxnsip generate, say, grandstream config file?

If yes, what do i do for that?

Maybe it is a misunderstanding... The PBX generates files e.g. for Polycom on the fly. You don't have to put anything into the tftp directory. Just give it a try! If the PBX generates files, it will put them into a special directory "generated" - so that you can review the result of the automatic provisioning.

If you are using Polycom, you should check out http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Polycom. Polycom is well supported with the PBX, so maybe you give that a try first. Grandstream is not so well supported, but maybe this is the opportunity to update the provsioning process for Grandstream phones.

Maybe it is a misunderstanding... The PBX generates files e.g. for Polycom on the fly. You don't have to put anything into the tftp directory. Just give it a try! If the PBX generates files, it will put them into a special directory "generated" - so that you can review the result of the automatic provisioning.

If you are using Polycom, you should check out http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Polycom. Polycom is well supported with the PBX, so maybe you give that a try first. Grandstream is not so well supported, but maybe this is the opportunity to update the provsioning process for Grandstream phones.

It looks like he has something wrong with his install as his PNP page is blank.

Aha... looks like i'm starting to understand how it works in pbxnsip...

But unfortunately i don't have policom or snom phone right now...

I found your message http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=277 with files for aastra attached (aastra.txt and aastra_mac.txt).

Do i understand right, that there should be a corresponding entry in pnp.xml for those two files?

Can you please provide me with this pnp.xml entry for aastra?

I think i'll be able to finally understand how it works and will try to write my own files for, say, grandstream gxp2000.

By the way, what about blank PnP page? is it ok?

Thanks and regards,

Nikolay.

Aha... looks like i'm starting to understand how it works in pbxnsip...

But unfortunately i don't have policom or snom phone right now...

I found your message http://forum.pbxnsip.com/index.php?showtopic=277 with files for aastra attached (aastra.txt and aastra_mac.txt).

Do i understand right, that there should be a corresponding entry in pnp.xml for those two files?

Can you please provide me with this pnp.xml entry for aastra?

I think i'll be able to finally understand how it works and will try to write my own files for, say, grandstream gxp2000.

By the way, what about blank PnP page? is it ok?

Aastra is also already included in the PBX. If you have a Astra 57i then it should also work right out of the box.

The PnP page should not be blank... There should be a list of parameters. What is the content of your html directory? Did you put your own pnp.xml there? Don't do that, at least not now (maybe later).

Aastra is also already included in the PBX. If you have a Astra 57i then it should also work right out of the box.

The PnP page should not be blank... There should be a list of parameters. What is the content of your html directory? Did you put your own pnp.xml there? Don't do that, at least not now (maybe later).

There was no "html" directory after installation.

My version is 3.1.0.3043. I just downladed the binary, audio_en, audio_ru and started the service as wiki recomends.

It is working, i can hear english and russian audio prompts, but no html directory. I created it myself and put pnp.xml (example from the wiki) there.

rgds,

Nikolay.

There was no "html" directory after installation.

My version is 3.1.0.3043. I just downladed the binary, audio_en, audio_ru and started the service as wiki recomends.

It is working, i can hear english and russian audio prompts, but no html directory. I created it myself and put pnp.xml (example from the wiki) there.

rgds,

Nikolay.

I also installed latest 2.1 version on my windows pc just for comparison.

I found that PnP page indeed contains a list of parameters on this 2.1 windows installation.

Looks like these parameters are descibed in pnp_parm directory. I have this directory with more than 20 files in it on my 3.1 centos installation, but PnP page is blank.

And, again, there is no pnp.xml file on my windows 2.1 installation too.

"html" directory is present, but it is empty. Should pnp.xml be there?

Thanks and regards,

Nikolay.