Snom without the PBX

Sara_Donald

I have this issue where the SNOM 370 works well with PBXNSIP but if I try to use the SNOM without the PBX I can register Ok with the SIP Provider but cannot make any calls, incoming calls are Ok. At first I thought it was a NAT issue but I tried the SNOM with DMZ set on the router and no firewall but still no outgoing calls, it just gets silence and doesnt even reach the SIP Server. I have tied this with several providers and all with the same result. Funny thought I had was maybe the SMOM is not being routed properly as I use a VPN on the router and I tried the SNOM without the VPN and low and behold calls could be made. My VPN has no restrictions on VoIP calls and allows any ports for this. So is there any thoughts on this as it is driving me mad to think it works with the pbx but not on its own?

Sara Donald.

I have this issue where the SNOM 370 works well with PBXNSIP but if I try to use the SNOM without the PBX I can register Ok with the SIP Provider but cannot make any calls, incoming calls are Ok. At first I thought it was a NAT issue but I tried the SNOM with DMZ set on the router and no firewall but still no outgoing calls, it just gets silence and doesnt even reach the SIP Server. I have tied this with several providers and all with the same result. Funny thought I had was maybe the SMOM is not being routed properly as I use a VPN on the router and I tried the SNOM without the VPN and low and behold calls could be made. My VPN has no restrictions on VoIP calls and allows any ports for this. So is there any thoughts on this as it is driving me mad to think it works with the pbx but not on its own?

Sara Donald.

What version of the Snom are you using? What did you WireShark trace say?

It shows that the traffic times out, it goes nowhere. I dial the number and sweet silence of the lambs. The strange thing is that inbound calls are fine. The VPN with the pbx can make inbound and outbound calls, just not the Snom 370 on its own using VPN, very strange indeed.

Sara.

It shows that the traffic times out, it goes nowhere. I dial the number and sweet silence of the lambs. The strange thing is that inbound calls are fine. The VPN with the pbx can make inbound and outbound calls, just not the Snom 370 on its own using VPN, very strange indeed.

Are you using outbound proxy? I recommend to always set the outbound proxy, unless you really want to call SIP URI in peer to peer mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, found the problem the hard way and I think I got caught out on this before. Snom stores everything in its silly config and even if you change details they still stay in memory. That's what happens when you try to run the phone without the pbx, it looks for tls connections even if you have changed the outbound proxy to use udp. You have to reset the phone then start again. You would think that the phone could wipe the config after you change its settings but obviously Snom hasn't been able to figure that one out yet!!!

Sara.