Extension Input

I have a phone system with extensions in the 200 range and an option 2 for sales. I have set Extension Input in my AA to dial after 3 digits (201 202 203 etc) Instead it matches the 2 and dials the Sales person who is quite annoyed at the call volume he is receiving. The system info is below:

License Status: allthingsIT

License Duration: Permanent

Version: 2.0.2.1675 (Unix)

Working Directory: /root/pbxndata

IP Addresses: redacted

default redacted

MAC Addresses: 00065BAF6788 0007E9189E9D

Calls: 742/518 (CDR: 1552)

Uptime: 26 20:42:47 (23177) WAV cache: 0

Well, in general you should try to avoid by all means to mix multiple-digit length extensions. Especially when they overlap.

Bad: having extension 20 201 202 203.

To the question: There are a few exceptions. If you have set direct destinations, they will be (of course) processed first.

If there is a mailbox prefix and the first digit matches that prefix, well then the length is not being checked (ops), instead the PBX waits until there is a match. The mailbox prefix case does not work if you are using an external voicemail system, because the PBX has no idea what extensions are available there.

As a rule of thumb: Use extension names starting with 2..7 and use a fixed length (= 2 or 3 digits). Use 8 as mailbox prefix. Do not use 9 as default outbound prefix (make numbers diallable as they are without any prefix).

• 1 year later...

I have exactly the same problem as above but I don't understand the resolution.

I have extensions from 101-150. My AA says press 1 for sales and 2 for service...

I have extension input=after 3 digit...

when someone calls in and presses 101 to go directly to ext. 101 they go to salesman...who is being inundated...

What specifically do you suggest as a work around?

Thanks,

matt

I have exactly the same problem as above but I don't understand the resolution.

I have extensions from 101-150. My AA says press 1 for sales and 2 for service...

I have extension input=after 3 digit...

when someone calls in and presses 101 to go directly to ext. 101 they go to salesman...who is being inundated...

What specifically do you suggest as a work around?

If you put "1#" into the direct destinations of the AA it will wait for a timeout.