Home Office Extension

dcjm

Hello Everyone,

I would like to setup a remote extension at a home office. I would like to do this over a standard Internet connection. I would like to know what additional ports (if any) I need to open on the firewall and what steps I need to take to configure the PBX to register that phone.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Take a look at http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Office_w...ic_IP_addresses, it should cover this topic.

2.0.4 will contain two more features that make this setup easier. The first one allows to have several IP addresses on one NIC (Windows only, sorry) and the second one allows to use NAT for DMZ. Then the PBX can have a private IP address behind NAT - however it must still be clear on what IP address requests are being routed and if the configuration uses IP addresses in the same subnet things get tricky. Therefore it is still better to use one public and one or more private IP address.

Thanks for help. I got the remote phone to register with the PBX. The problem I am having now is that I hear a dial tone when I pick up the phone but once I enter the phone # of my cell phone I hear nothing. HOWEVER, my cell phone does ring! I have enabled SIP ports on the firewalls at both locations.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

I ran the WireShark on the PBX and tried to dial in from the remote extension. I didn't see anything obvious come up in the capture. Is there a specific entry I should be looking for?

Just to recap the client has a sonicwall TZ170, with the latest Windows Build of PBXnSIP running at the corp office. I've installed a Linksys SPA942 at the home office. The phone does register with the PBX and I do get a dial tone. I can even make call but person can't hear me nor can I hear them. All phones at the corp office (which are also Linksys SPA942) are working fine.

Thanks again for the help.

Hmm... Do you see RTP traffic on the PBX coming from the phone? Maybe you need to allow this kind of traffic on the firewall. What IP addresses does the PBX present to the phone? If the firewall set to "SIP aware" (don't do it)? Some time ago, there was a bug on the Sonicwall that was modifying SIP parameters in a bad way, so make sure you have a firmware that is not older than three months.

I ran the WireShark on the PBX and tried to dial in from the remote extension. I didn't see anything obvious come up in the capture. Is there a specific entry I should be looking for?

Just to recap the client has a sonicwall TZ170, with the latest Windows Build of PBXnSIP running at the corp office. I've installed a Linksys SPA942 at the home office. The phone does register with the PBX and I do get a dial tone. I can even make call but person can't hear me nor can I hear them. All phones at the corp office (which are also Linksys SPA942) are working fine.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm having a similar problem with a client. The remote phone has a snom300 and it can dial back to the main office extensions w/out any issues and can dial out to the pstn with no problems. But when you call the remote phone from the main office you get one way audio. It's driving me nuts, we are looking to install a vpn next week and hopefully that will make it work.