Address Book - User Level Functionality

Vernon

Hello,

I've been testing some of the features of the User level in the PBX and noticed some bugs and have a couple of questions.

Q: Question

B: Bug?

1.Q: When adding an address book entry in the Web Attendant console, this entry doesn't seem to reflect in the domain/user address book. Is this entry stored only on the User Level's page?

2.Q: The third symbol of the address book doesn't indicate what it does. First is delete entry, second is to edit the entry, third, i'm assuming, is to block/allow the contact?

3.B: This might be related to the 2nd question. When adding a contact and setting the contact on the "Black List", after saving the entry and refreshing the page it will turn into a Regular contact.

4. Q: Will the address book functionality of the user interface be expanded to allow for more control over the system? For example it would be nice to let users manage their address book without having to give them full PBX access or maintaining ticket queues to add/edit entries.

This was all tested on the latest Vodia IO, reading the past patch notes i wasn't able to see any notes addressing these issues/questions.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Vernon said:

1.Q: When adding an address book entry in the Web Attendant console, this entry doesn't seem to reflect in the domain/user address book. Is this entry stored only on the User Level's page?

Yes, that would only be for the user level. It's like having a personal contact on your cell phone.

1 hour ago, Vernon said:

2.Q: The third symbol of the address book doesn't indicate what it does. First is delete entry, second is to edit the entry, third, i'm assuming, is to block/allow the contact?

No, it is just to end that option from being selected. Click on the "X" and you'd see.

1 hour ago, Vernon said:

3.B: This might be related to the 2nd question. When adding a contact and setting the contact on the "Black List", after saving the entry and refreshing the page it will turn into a Regular contact.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, but we are still working on sharpening and modifying all the details on the new user portal. 

1 hour ago, Vernon said:

4. Q: Will the address book functionality of the user interface be expanded to allow for more control over the system? For example it would be nice to let users manage their address book without having to give them full PBX access or maintaining ticket queues to add/edit entries.

They always have had the functionality to manage their own address book. What did they not have that you're referring to?

Thanks for your reply,

Would you be able to clarify on Point 2? What does it mean to end that option from being selected? Selected from where?

I refreshed the page with both settings and i haven't seen any difference.

4. What i meant here is that adding entries to the address book only stays within the user level address book. If you were to provision a phone it would pick up contacts from the domain address book which doesn't contain any user level entries. Though i see under Extensions -> Address Book, there is a setting for the following options: Default, Domain+personal, Domain only, Personal only.

I've provisioned a phone with all variations of this setting and didn't notice any changes on the phone.

P.S What is the default Address Book setting and where is it set from?

3 minutes ago, Vernon said:

Would you be able to clarify on Point 2? What does it mean to end that option from being selected? Selected from where?

I refreshed the page with both settings and i haven't seen any difference.

Meaning, it is only for "cancelling" that selection. It is not a third option as such. It's only an "exiting" cross from that selection, option.

7 minutes ago, Vernon said:

4. What i meant here is that adding entries to the address book only stays within the user level address book. If you were to provision a phone it would pick up contacts from the domain address book which doesn't contain any user level entries. Though i see under Extensions -> Address Book, there is a setting for the following options: Default, Domain+personal, Domain only, Personal only.

Was the LDAP working properly with these phones? What phone models are these?

Once you set the address book for each of the levels (Domain+personal, Domain only, Personal only) it should show you only those on that physical extension. Maybe your LDAP is having issues. Make sure you have the LDAP ports set on /reg_ports.htm page on the PBX GUI and that is open on your firewall as well. Yealink and Snom (also maybe recently Polycoms) should support it fully (AFAWK).

I'll attach an image to help better explain it.

For the LDAP i tried with a Snom 745 and 725 ( 8.9.3.60 ). The domain address book LDAP works perfectly fine on these phones and picks up entries as it should, but when editing an address book from the user level and reprovisioning a phone no extra contacts appear.

I've changed the setting to personal address book only and didn't see any new entries appear.

I could try with a Yealink phone model and see if there's any difference

PBX User Portal.png

5 minutes ago, Vernon said:

I'll attach an image to help better explain it.

Oh apologies. We thought you were on the latest version of the user portal. In the old one, this symbol is for DND.

Also for the LDAP the entries should be in the right format (+1 and number format for US etc.) for the system to accept. Also sometimes caching can be issue as well on the browser, make sure addition of new entries is done on an incognito window. If the user portal takes it, then the phone should accept it too (ideally). :) 

But let us know if the user level address book issue still exists, we may have some more finishing touches to give it on that end, because we came up with whole new user portal now.