Automatic calls

Rob Lloyd

I have a client using that has a unique application. They are using a push button/speaker/mic device to automatically connect to pbxnsip and connect to a conference room. That works fine. All the devices are in the same conference room and this lets everyone communicate like an intercom system.

If the devices reboot there is no bye packet being sent. When they boot back up and automatically dial the conference room again the call status shows that the same extension now has 2 calls in there.

Will this cause problems after a couple days or weeks or months?

The extension is only showing 1 registration since it is from the same IP. They are just concerned with the extra, no longer connected calls. Will this eventually crash the system as the CPU starts going up and up from all these simulaneous calls?

I don't think it matters but they are using the 410 and 425 appliances but it also does this on windows and linux. They have also tried 3CX and had the same results so it's not PBXnSIP specific.

What can be done to prevent problems or is this a non-issue?

Thanks.

I have a client using that has a unique application. They are using a push button/speaker/mic device to automatically connect to pbxnsip and connect to a conference room. That works fine. All the devices are in the same conference room and this lets everyone communicate like an intercom system.

If the devices reboot there is no bye packet being sent. When they boot back up and automatically dial the conference room again the call status shows that the same extension now has 2 calls in there.

Will this cause problems after a couple days or weeks or months?

The extension is only showing 1 registration since it is from the same IP. They are just concerned with the extra, no longer connected calls. Will this eventually crash the system as the CPU starts going up and up from all these simulaneous calls?

I don't think it matters but they are using the 410 and 425 appliances but it also does this on windows and linux. They have also tried 3CX and had the same results so it's not PBXnSIP specific.

What can be done to prevent problems or is this a non-issue?

After the maximum call duration, the call gets disconnected anyway. The default is two hours.

You can make this setting shorter if you like; though I would believe it is a resonable setting. There is also a "hidden" setting called "timeout_conference" which is by default 3600 seconds. This value was so high because there are user-agents out there that do not send keep-alive traffic when mute-ing a call. If you have devices that do send keep-alive then it is safe to lower this value to something like 600 (10 minutes).

Where is this "hidden" setting?

Sounds like there is nothing to worry about then.

This will make for a happy client!

Thanks!

Well, it is a global setting (see http://wiki.pbxnsip.com/index.php/Global_Configuration_File). There is also a small trick to set the setting through the web interface. It is not visible through ther web pages because we usually don't want people play with these settings.............

Client said that the calls cannot be dropped so they are increasing the call duration to infinite. Is there any way to have the calls detected and dropped?

Well, that's what the settings "timeout_conference" is good for. If a user-agent "sends" one-way audio (which is no audio) that is okay. There are many ways around it, for example choosing a user-agent that sends keep-alive RTP (silence indicators). But we want to compatible to devices that are not so smart.

I would not change the general maximum durtion of the call. It is a uneccessary burden to the system.

• 2 weeks later...