Stripping digits off inbound caller ID

koolandrew

Is there a way of presenting a local calling number in a pbx where there users in several locations.

For example, in the UK, they would like to see the number presented as 0XXXXXXX vs 01144XXX or 44xxxxxx when someone calls, as they would on their mobile phones.

They also have locations in the USA and those calls are fine.

Please advise.

This is quite fuzzy for me, as there is documentation, but it is not clear on the handling of inbound vs outbound calls.

I am not clear on what to do if the same trunk ip address is used for inbound numbers from multiple countries. If it is a us based phone systemand all the calls come from one  ip x.x.x.x for example, , and we have trunk A for us calls, and trunk B for Germany calls and trunk C for UK calls, would the system route calls to those trunks and know to send calls to the specific inbound trunk with those calls and know that for calls coming form the UK to strip the 01144 before the number and change it to 0 before the local number.

Similarily, would it present a call from Germany, for example, to the UK in the appropriate format as it would from the USA.

The Europeans dont know anything about 011 so it would preferable to rid that from their calls, and it more importantly, if they are getting calls from within country to an inbound DID that the caller id is local.

Hopefully, this is clear.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the + is there for a reason. It makes it clear, and the Europeans are actually quite used to it considering there are many country codes in Europe. I would dare to say that most SIP trunk providers today gladly accept phone numbers that begin with the +. At least it is worth a try for outbound calls.

For inbound calls, things are indeed confusing. When you receive an incoming call from +3362346532 and your US-based provider presents that as 3362346532, is that +3362346532, or is it +13362346532? As a matter of fact, we know that several providers make it impossible to detect a French number in that case. But if you set the country code for the trunk, it will read the number according to the local rules. This is a setting that can be separate for each trunk, e.g. if you have a trunk for a US-based number and another one for a French number, they can peacefully coexist on the PBX.

BTW IMHO it's ridiculous that SIP service providers are not using the global form. Whenever possible, please point it out — maybe they will at least offer a setting where you can turn it on.

HI,Thanks for the reply, i was hoping to get one.  i understand that + is accepted, as that is what we are trying to do.

I am trying to interpret your reply based upon my previous questions below. Our provider presents the call correctly, it is Vodia that adds in automatically all this 011 stuff as it is set up as a North American pbx:

If it is a us based phone systemand all the calls come from one  ip x.x.x.x for example, , and we have trunk A for us calls, and trunk B for Germany calls and trunk C for UK calls, would the system route calls to those trunks and know to send calls to the specific inbound trunk--so your answer is yes, ok

with those calls and know that for calls coming from the UK to strip the 01144 before the number and change it to 0 before the local number.---can we do that as your reply doesnt address it?

Similarily, would it present a call from Germany, for example, to the UK in the appropriate format as it would from the USA.---what would happen in this case or can we make rules for it, as i cannot find any documentation on such.

The Europeans dont know anything about 011 so it would preferable to rid that from their calls, and it more importantly, if they are getting calls from within country to an inbound DID that the caller id is local.

• 2 weeks later...

There is 00, 011, and also 0011. It is indeed very confusing if you have many countries involved. The PBX internally always converts it into the +-notation, and only converts it for presentation reasons. So when a user in the US receives a call, it should show as 011-44-xxx, while the same call would show for the UK caller as 00-1-xxx (probably 001-xxx). That is perfectly okay. In order to make it easier to write dial plans, there is a setting in the dial plan of the PBX how it should present the number to the pattern matcher, and again, if you don't like the default, you can explicitly say there how it should be presented. The telecom world would be simpler if everyone just uses + — but is it not...

i appreciate the reply but i am not sure we are any closer to the answer of my original query. I hope my reply will generate a response, as i appreciate someone responding.

So when a user in the US receives a call, it should show as 011-44-xxx, while the same call would show for the UK caller as 00-1-xxx (probably 001-xxx).--i know this isnt the case. When a UK cell phone user receives a call from the UK, it is 0 followed by the local number. Not sure about the +.

it should show as 011-44-xxx,--this is the vodia pbx that does this,  i dont know why it isnt +44 then the country code, but this is hard coded to the voida

That is perfectly okay. In order to make it easier to write dial plans, there is a setting in the dial plan of the PBX how it should present the number to the pattern matcher, and again, if you don't like the default, you can explicitly say there how it should be presented. I am not aware of a setting for the dial plan to change this, as i was under the assumption that the dial plan was for outbound calling as it has to match a trunk.

it should present the number to the pattern matcher. i dont know what this means, as i have not been able to figure that out.

The questions in the post from February 9th remain unclear.

Thanks