Transferring Directly to VM

Friedom-Tech

HI;

i have a client who who works with extensions beginning with 1XX and 2XX. when the receptionist tries to tranfer directly to voicemail for the users beginning with 2 IE 8201 she has no problem but when she tries to transfer to users begininng with 1 it never works...i beleive that after the third digit it is automatically doing the dialing ie she enters 8121 it only recognises 812 so it says invalid extension...i would imagine this may have to do with the PNP plan which is set to three digit extensions but then why is there only a problem with extensions beginning with 1??

please advise asap.

• 2 weeks later...
i have a client who who works with extensions beginning with 1XX and 2XX. when the receptionist tries to tranfer directly to voicemail for the users beginning with 2 IE 8201 she has no problem but when she tries to transfer to users begininng with 1 it never works...i beleive that after the third digit it is automatically doing the dialing ie she enters 8121 it only recognises 812 so it says invalid extension...i would imagine this may have to do with the PNP plan which is set to three digit extensions but then why is there only a problem with extensions beginning with 1??

The question here is if this is a problem with the dial plan on the phone or a problem on the PBX. From what you write above, it sounds like a problem with the phone. What you can do is choose that the user has to press enter; alternatively the user must choose extension numbers that start with 4-7. This what most "good old" TDM PBX did as well. The alternative would have been that the user must enter "9" to get a dial tone, which requires one more key press and messes up the address book dialling. Therefore, for the PnP we chose "1" for "dial a NANP" number (10 digits).

Using the enter key has also one big advantage compared to the "get dial tone" method: You can edit the key, especially the last digit. And you have no problem dialling international numbers.

The question here is if this is a problem with the dial plan on the phone or a problem on the PBX. From what you write above, it sounds like a problem with the phone. What you can do is choose that the user has to press enter; alternatively the user must choose extension numbers that start with 4-7. This what most "good old" TDM PBX did as well. The alternative would have been that the user must enter "9" to get a dial tone, which requires one more key press and messes up the address book dialling. Therefore, for the PnP we chose "1" for "dial a NANP" number (10 digits).

Using the enter key has also one big advantage compared to the "get dial tone" method: You can edit the key, especially the last digit. And you have no problem dialling international numbers.

HI;

in this case the user does not want to have to hit enter OR dial 9!

even in enviornments that use 9 for outbound calls i have never seen a system that requires that for internal transfers.

it is very possible that this is an issue with the dial plan on the phone but mu question is how do i get around it?

pls advise asap

in this case the user does not want to have to hit enter OR dial 9!

even in enviornments that use 9 for outbound calls i have never seen a system that requires that for internal transfers.

it is very possible that this is an issue with the dial plan on the phone but mu question is how do i get around it?

Well, as said before if you want to use the PnP dialplan on the phone you must use accounts and extensions starting with the digits 4-7. Starting with "1" means that the number will be a 11-digit telephone number in NANP area.

Well, as said before if you want to use the PnP dialplan on the phone you must use accounts and extensions starting with the digits 4-7. Starting with "1" means that the number will be a 11-digit telephone number in NANP area.

is there any config i can make to the dial plan to take this problem away?

besides in this case the employee is not beginning with a 1 they are beginning with an 8 as they are transferring to a mailbox...they are entering 8 followed by the three digit extension beginning with a 1!

pls advise

is there any config i can make to the dial plan to take this problem away?

besides in this case the employee is not beginning with a 1 they are beginning with an 8 as they are transferring to a mailbox...they are entering 8 followed by the three digit extension beginning with a 1!

BTW what phones are you using? Did you chech what dialplan the PBX sends to the phone in the generated directory?

BTW what phones are you using? Did you chech what dialplan the PBX sends to the phone in the generated directory?

i am using a Polycom 650. i have about 80 phones (mostly Polycom 320's) registered through PNP...

the four files that the system is showing in the generated folder are

1) Polycom_Sip.xml

2)Polycom_Phone.xml

3)Polycom_master.xml

4) Polycom_Addrbook.xml

is the dial plan included in one of these?

pls advise

i am using a Polycom 650. i have about 80 phones (mostly Polycom 320's) registered through PNP...

the four files that the system is showing in the generated folder are

1) Polycom_Sip.xml

2)Polycom_Phone.xml

3)Polycom_master.xml

4) Polycom_Addrbook.xml

is the dial plan included in one of these?

It is in polycom_sip.xml. Search for "dialplan.digitmap", there you should see the dial plan that your phone has. You should see something like "[2-7]xx|8[2-7]xx|[2-9]11|1xxxxxxxxxx|011x.|*x.".

It is in polycom_sip.xml. Search for "dialplan.digitmap", there you should see the dial plan that your phone has. You should see something like "[2-7]xx|8[2-7]xx|[2-9]11|1xxxxxxxxxx|011x.|*x.".

here is the dialplan:

dialplan.impossibleMatchHandling="0" dialplan.removeEndOfDial="1" dialplan.applyToUserSend="1" dialplan.applyToUserDial="1" dialplan.applyToCallListDial="0" dialplan.applyToDirectoryDial="0">

<digitmap dialplan.digitmap="[2-7]xx|8[2-7]xx|[2-9]11|1xxxxxxxxxx|011x.|*x." dialplan.digitmap.timeOut="3|3|3|3|3|3"/>

<routing>

<server dialplan.routing.server.1.address="" dialplan.routing.server.1.port="5060"/>

<emergency dialplan.routing.emergency.1.value="911" dialplan.routing.emergency.1.server.1="1"/>

</routing>

</dialplan>

here is the dialplan:

dialplan.impossibleMatchHandling="0" dialplan.removeEndOfDial="1" dialplan.applyToUserSend="1" dialplan.applyToUserDial="1" dialplan.applyToCallListDial="0" dialplan.applyToDirectoryDial="0">

<digitmap dialplan.digitmap="[2-7]xx|8[2-7]xx|[2-9]11|1xxxxxxxxxx|011x.|*x." dialplan.digitmap.timeOut="3|3|3|3|3|3"/>

<routing>

<server dialplan.routing.server.1.address="" dialplan.routing.server.1.port="5060"/>

<emergency dialplan.routing.emergency.1.value="911" dialplan.routing.emergency.1.server.1="1"/>

</routing>

</dialplan>

That looks like what I would expect. Looking at your original post it becomes clear why she cannot dial 8121: There is no pattern for that. The point is that extensions must start with 2-7 for the Polycom dialplan. Otherwise the above dialplan is not usable.

Is it an option to move the 1xx extensions to another location?

That looks like what I would expect. Looking at your original post it becomes clear why she cannot dial 8121: There is no pattern for that. The point is that extensions must start with 2-7 for the Polycom dialplan. Otherwise the above dialplan is not usable.

Is it an option to move the 1xx extensions to another location?

can you modify the dial plan at all? when they call the extension directly they have no problem so i would assume that all that needs to be done is set the dial plan to allow four digit extensions beginning with 8?

pls advise

can you modify the dial plan at all? when they call the extension directly they have no problem so i would assume that all that needs to be done is set the dial plan to allow four digit extensions beginning with 8?

You can put the attached file into the html directory and edit it. This requires a restart of the system.

dialplans.xml

to do what i want...be able to transfer to voicemail of extensions beginning with 1, what needs to be edited?

Well, if you want that people can dial extensions starting with "1", then you can not use the "1" as the prefix for national numbers (11-digit dialling). You can tell customers to use something like "91xxxxxxxxxx" or "9xxxxxxxxxx" (9 would be for "outbound line"). However this will bring trouble with the address book, as address book entries on the phone will not start with "9" in the beginning. And of course you need to change the dial plans The pattern for this would be below.

[1-7]xx|8[1-7]xx|[2-9]11|9,1xxxxxxxxxx|9,011x.|*x.

You can change that in the dialplan.xml file attached above. The comma AFAIK will give you secondary dial tone.

Well, if you want that people can dial extensions starting with "1", then you can not use the "1" as the prefix for national numbers (11-digit dialling). You can tell customers to use something like "91xxxxxxxxxx" or "9xxxxxxxxxx" (9 would be for "outbound line"). However this will bring trouble with the address book, as address book entries on the phone will not start with "9" in the beginning. And of course you need to change the dial plans The pattern for this would be below.

[1-7]xx|8[1-7]xx|[2-9]11|9,1xxxxxxxxxx|9,011x.|*x.

You can change that in the dialplan.xml file attached above. The comma AFAIK will give you secondary dial tone.

i have another idea...please advise if this would work.

basically currently the issue is that when the user enters 8121 the phone does not recognise 1 as a prefix to an extension and therefore cuts off the fourth number because the dialplan states that 8 is a prefix to an internal extension and therefore the phone is saying send this call to 812.

however if we took 8 out of the dial plan (there are currently no extensions beginning with 8) then maybe the phone would wait for the fourth digit (in this case 8121) and when the receptionist hits # it would work?

for testing purposes can you please tell me how i can go about removing the 8 i(ie the dialplan should state [2-7]??

i have another idea...please advise if this would work.

basically currently the issue is that when the user enters 8121 the phone does not recognise 1 as a prefix to an extension and therefore cuts off the fourth number because the dialplan states that 8 is a prefix to an internal extension and therefore the phone is saying send this call to 812.

however if we took 8 out of the dial plan (there are currently no extensions beginning with 8) then maybe the phone would wait for the fourth digit (in this case 8121) and when the receptionist hits # it would work?

for testing purposes can you please tell me how i can go about removing the 8 i(ie the dialplan should state [2-7]??

The [2-9]11 is essentially for 911. Maybe you just write 911; maybe also include 411 if someone wants to dial it. This way you can take the 811 out.

In the end, you need to test test test. IMHO life would be easier if they can move the 1xx extensions out of the way or just accept that they have to dial 9 for an outbound call (to "seize" a line, haha). If you have to tailor them their own dialplan that will mean some work.

Or they get over the whole thing and press Dial after entering a number. Thanks to the several billion cell phones out there that is not such an crazy idea!

The [2-9]11 is essentially for 911. Maybe you just write 911; maybe also include 411 if someone wants to dial it. This way you can take the 811 out.

In the end, you need to test test test. IMHO life would be easier if they can move the 1xx extensions out of the way or just accept that they have to dial 9 for an outbound call (to "seize" a line, haha). If you have to tailor them their own dialplan that will mean some work.

Or they get over the whole thing and press Dial after entering a number. Thanks to the several billion cell phones out there that is not such an crazy idea!

i could tell them to get over it but before i do that all i want to try is to take out 8 from the extensions in the dial plan...meaning that right now when the phone dials 2-9 it is only looking for 3 digits...i want that when it dials 8 it will require the # and wont auto dial the number (like it does for extensions beginining with 1) please advise.

thank you;