Add prefix to subject of all notification emails?

mcbsys

I'm learning Vodia with a test system on 68.0.26. This morning my all-purpose alert email address received an email with the subject "Address 18.220.128.229 has been blacklisted". The From address only showed the final sender--a Gmail address. I finally figured out that it was from the Vodia PBX by analyzing the email headers and finding the Vodia system IP address as the original sender.

I thought that adding a name to From address at System > Settings > Messaging > Email Setup would at least give me a From name, but either that is not passed along by Vodia, or it is stripped out by Google by the time it gets forwarded to me. Here are the obfuscated headers of the first hop, from the Vodia system to Gmail:

Received: from mydomain.com  ([202.104.185.52])
        by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id f6-20020a170902ab8600b0019a7d58e595sm43422plr.143.2023.03.02.10.58.15
        for <my.alerts@gmail.com>
        (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
        Thu, 02 Mar 2023 10:58:16 -0800 (PST)
Message-ID: <6400f1c8.170a0220.53125.0269@mx.google.com>

Is there a way to get Vodia to pass along the From name? And/or to add a prefix to the subject of all notifications so I know where the email comes from?

Thanks,

Mark

If you use Google (Gmail) as an SMTP relay, AFAIK it will rewrite the 'FROM' to the account that's relaying. Is your final account also a Gmail account? Could you create another gmail account just for your Vodia relay? Otherwise, maybe use a different SMTP relay or self-host a hMailServer?

@claritytech, thanks for your reply. Yes, that's the problem, by the time it is forwarded, the From name is stripped and just has the account that's forwarding. I set up one SMTP account per customer and use it for UPS alerts, RMM alerts, NAS alerts, PBX alerts, etc. Maybe I could work around it by creating a custom email just for Vodia, but I'd rather by able to customize Vodia by specifying a prefix. 

Attaching a screenshot of how Synology does it in their NAS.

Email prefix.png

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Scott1234 said:

You can also just input the line under reg_email like so.

"YOUR NAME HERE" <abc@abc.com>

@Scott1234, sorry but where in the UI is "reg_email"?

As mentioned above, adding a name in front of the email address at System > Settings > Messaging > Email Setup > From address was not enough.

5 hours ago, mcbsys said:

@Scott1234, sorry but where in the UI is "reg_email"?

As mentioned above, adding a name in front of the email address at System > Settings > Messaging > Email Setup > From address was not enough.

Yeah I mean in that section its setting the display name in the quotes part, but not sure if that would get stripped in your setup. 

image.thumb.png.27c5d265c6193239371f1f46fd06ae99.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi There

my email subjects always present as:

"Welcome to the Vodia Phone System"

I've got different tenants where this is updated to the company name and in PBX main system settings under system level, but it still sends out with incorrect email subject

how can I fix this?

cheers

Matt